How Can I Make A Disappearing And Reappearing Platform?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Insanity, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Insanity

Insanity Boxer

I want a platform to be visible for 0.75s and invisible for 0.25s and then for this to repeat. When its invisible I want to make sure my character cannot collide with the platform.

Any ideas?

Also would like to know how to make a crumbling platform that gives way after a set period of time?

2. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

Make it enemy with 0 damage , 1 health and death delay 3 seconds. Once the character steps on it the platform will go away in 3 seconds

Insanity likes this.
  3. Insanity

Insanity Boxer

OMG Perfect! Thank you!

4. Insanity

Insanity Boxer

Now all I need is for someone to tell me how to do the other part:

5. Insanity

Insanity Boxer

FYI for anyone else doing this, character damage must be set to 1 (I tried deleting this property from my character and the platform didn't break)

6. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

I've experimented a bit with the invisible object but haven't figured it out yet. I think you need an animation, but the collision will remain.
    A simple trick is to make a spawner there. The object will spawn, stay on screen of 0.75 seconds and then die (disappear), after another 0.25 sec another one will appear :p simple

Insanity likes this.
  7. Insanity

Insanity Boxer

Hmmm yeah I think this could work. When I'm back to working on my game tomorrow I can try this out :D

meremy likes this.
  8. Insanity

Insanity Boxer

I figured out how to do the disappearing platform!! :D

What you do is put a tiny enemy inside the bounds of the platform and set the enemy to "no collide" and "destroy all" and make sure the enemy has lots of health (I set it at 1000). This can also be a platform as long as its fixed/no collide/destroy all.

Then with the platform in the objects panel, you give it health of 1 and set the death delay to 0.75. Then with the platform object instance in the world screen, you add a spawner and have the object spawn every 1 second.

What happens is the platform spawns, gets destroyed and disappears after 0.75s because of the death delay, then respawns after 1 second, gets destroyed again, waits 0.75s before disappearing and respawns again after 1 second... etc...
    :D

Vikas and meremy like this.
  9. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

That's exactly what I said but implemented :D Good job !