How To Keep Levels Locked

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by isthisrequired, Jul 5, 2017.

1. isthisrequired

isthisrequired Boxer

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how I can set up my game so that subsequent levels cannot be accessed unless the player achieves a certain score on the previous level. How can this be accomplished? Thanks!

2. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

You set an observer with pause world at x coins. When the player gets to x coins, an UI will pop up "Congrats you unlocked the next level" Click ok to continue. Make the ok button as "Back".(that UI has the unlock next level observer). You can use this if the player is not at any risk of death coming back from pause

isthisrequired likes this.
  3. isthisrequired

isthisrequired Boxer

Where do I set this observer when all my levels are in the same world? And is there a way, in connection to this, to limit the number of balls that each player has to 30 per level and if they don't get 15 in the hole then they have to repeat this level, but if they get 15 then they would unlock the next one.

4. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

Having all levels in one world is a little bit tricky, mostly for android with back button. I thought you had separate worlds for levels and a UI for each one.
    As i see it . You have 30 balls , when the player gets 15 in the hole, an observer has to come in play and maybe you give the player a chance to continue level or finish and go to next one. But it will be hell because you buildbox is not friendly with it comes to this type of game. What happens when the player has only 14 balls left and knows he cant win ? Can he put 16 or more balls in ?

isthisrequired likes this.
  5. isthisrequired

isthisrequired Boxer

So there's no easy way to achieve this with all the levels in one world? I have 50 unique levels I created and I'm not sure if there is a quick way to move them to individual worlds so if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it! Thanks!

6. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

How to you make the transition from Level 1 to level 2 ?
    I mean from one scene you go into the next. Or by checkpoints ?

You can make a gate before each level and the gate has 15 health. Each ball gives 1 dmg . Or on collision with the gate they spawn invisible bullet that deals 1 damage. Somewhere along those lines. But i imagine the camera work is hard. Some balls may remain behind and some will go ahead and from what i've experienced that is tricky

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  7. isthisrequired

isthisrequired Boxer

Thank you, meremy, for the advice! How would I implement a counter though. I understand an event observer would be involved but how could you do it so that each ball equals one try to be subtracted from the total of 30 per level? And how would the gate be implemented? Thanks!

8. isthisrequired

isthisrequired Boxer

I'm still a bit confused on how to establish this counter and the gate to regulate level advancement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

9. isthisrequired

isthisrequired Boxer

I'm having a lot of difficulty with setting up the counter and level selector because all of my levels are in the same world, and I was wondering if there is a way for me to have a level selector (where the player can choose what level to go to next).

10. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

So. Before each level you have a set checkpoint action where your balls will be teleported(at start) and at the end of each level you have a next checkpoint action (end level). Before the next checkpoint you put an object with 30 life. Each ball does 1 damage. That's without using counter as observer. But it think this will be tricky with camera as it will teleport 30 of your balls into the next level and the rest will remain or something

Another way is at the end level you set another object with 30 life, and behind it you put a menu jump. When the object is destroyed one ball will get in the menu jump and a pop-up will appear. You finished the level. Jump to the next one. and you set a next checkpoint button.

Or you set an observer for 30 session coins. And when the balls reach the end the collision with an object coins are spawned and at 30 the observer will send you to a pop-up with jump to next level with next checkpoint

Try all these 3 ways, see if any of them work for you