Is Getting Featured On App Store The Only Way?

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by Jumpingu, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Jumpingu

Jumpingu Boxer

We are developing casual games to be published on App Store. Currently we are working on budget planning and we are not clear what would be the best way of making money out of such games. We guesstimate we can earn 30$ per 1000 install on ads and for casual games I would say IAP earning is too low which can be ignored. If this assumption is true we need massive number of downloads to make the app profitable. What would be your strategy on making money out of a casual game on App Store? Is getting featured on App Store the only way of doing that?

2. justforward

justforward Avid Boxer

On Apple you will get initial boost for a couple of days and then it will go down if you don't take any marketing efforts. ASO won't help you on App Store for the new game. For iOS you can also make separate paid version of the game which will give some revenue. If you make awesome game then you will be featured on Apple. On Google Play you have more chances to grow from scratch using App Store Optimization.

3. Aimee

Aimee Boxer

Hi friends, according to your problem, the first thing you should do is to improve the quality of your games, fix the bugs and promise it is a good one.
    Then you should do ASO for your app. As you mentioned that you need massive number of downloads to make the app profitable, so downloads is an important element, do ASO through optimize the title, icon, keywords, screenshot and video, reviews and ranking of your app, increase the exposure of your app, and make more users can download your app through searching.

1.App title
    Come up with an attractive name, and make full use of all characters, it doesn't work that only put some hot words together, you should guarantee statement unobstructed. Take use of the subtitle, make kernel keywords in the subtitle and introduce the function of your app in the subtitle.

2.App icon
    Choose a beautiful icon which can both show your app' s features and attract users.

3.Keywords
    Nearly have 100 characters, put the important words in the previous position. Analyze the keywords of your competitors' app
    , build your own hot word bank.

4. Screenshot and video
    Also make an attractive video and some screenshots of the app.

5. Reviews and rankings
    This is also very important, many users download an app after reading the reviews. The more positive reviews your app have, the more download you can get.

Above are some simple methods to do ASO, you can use this method to promote your app and then get more downloads. Hope I can help you~

4. Jumpingu

Jumpingu Boxer

Thanks @Aimee
    So is a great ASO going to turn a non-profitable game a profitable game?

5. Aimee

Aimee Boxer

Of course it can, after do a great ASO, your app will ranking in the top in the app store, more people will see it and download it and you will get plenty of downloads. This can increase the awareness of your game, and then there are some companies will ask for your help for advertising for their products or companies, advertising for them is not for free, they will pay for your advertising, this is a profitable way, so your non-profitable game become a profitable one. ;)

6. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

First you need a good game, this is crucial.
    Then you need to use all possible marketing strategy.
    ASO is not enough but it still needs to be done properly.

7. Jumpingu

Jumpingu Boxer

Do I really need to use all marketing strategy?
    Does this mean I have to use all IAP, advertisement, reward-videos in my super casual game?
    Does this mean I have to spend money on advertisement for users? this is an important question for us. because CPA is so high these days.
    Does this mean I have to go for social influencers, (that's one of the marketing strategies), and without it, it will fail?
    Or It's just enough to feature the game?
    My question is not what's the best strategy to go for testing if a game is profitable.
    I want to know, before Investing money on super casual mobile games, that if this is going to be profitable or not.

8. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

Well, first of all I didn't succeeded yet so my opinion is not worth a lot probably, these are just my thoughts.
    I think IAP, ads, rewarded videos etc. are not a part of marketing strategies but these elements can make a game more attractive by itself. But you can make a very simple hit-game if your luck is 1 to million. It is all about reaching as many players as possible. All these strategies work that way. It's all about budget you want to spend, not only the money by the time as well. AFAIK big guys use all kind of it or even do more but they have huge budgets and lots of connections to use. Marketing is super important but if your game is crap it will not help. If your game is good you can earn some small amount of money.

9. Aimee

Aimee Boxer

Hi friends, I think I know your problem, you want to know if your game app can make a profile for your company before you invest money on it, right?

Before you invest money on it, you could make some researches to know how many potential users your app have. If your game app have a lot of users, it must be a profitable one. You can make research through putting questionnaire in social
    media, such as facebook, twitter, ins and so on. Or make offline survey, find if there are plenty of potential users.

As I mentioned before, the first thing you should do is to ensure the quality of your app, make it an interesting and attractive one. Only this users will keep it in their phone and recommend it to more people. And if your game app is a free one, you can set some game levels or equipment not for free.

Actually it is difficult to say if it is a profitable one before you try for it. According to your question, I think you don't need to use all IAP. You should choose some of it which are suitable for your game.

How does an app be a profitable one? As we all know that there are 2 ways, one is insert ads in your game, one is set some paid game levels and equipment. But how to achieve these, this need your game app installed by more people, and have a high ranking in the app store. So get more downloads is very important, you should find the useful way to make is installed by more people instead of using all methods. Advertising is a effective way, find social celebrities advertising for you is also useful, and do ASO to boost your app ranking and get your app can be searched easily by more users is also very important, After ASO, when user search in the search box, your app will appear in the top, most people want to download the app appear in the top.

Do not know if my answer can help you, I hope I can, Thanks for reading~:)

Starman likes this.