Request For Some General Tips For Different Aspects Of Game Development Using Buildbox

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DDavies, Jun 13, 2017.

1. DDavies

DDavies Boxer

Can you share any tips you have regarding the following issues for a Buildbox starter?

1. Performance and how to keep it great
    2. Download size, and how to keep it low
    3. Common mistakes to avoid, right after starting a new project
    4. Resolution. what is the proper maximum resolution to use for portrait and landscape?
    5. Aspect ratio tips. (4:3 and 16:9)

Jamie likes this.
  2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

1. Do not have many objects on the screen, do not use too many connection points in the "Shape Editor" menu, use little "back deletion thereshold" and "Sides deletion thereshold".
    2. Less than 20 Mb.
    3. You do not use large images, do not use large music, always use 1: 1 scale for characters and objects. Use 32x32 Sprites for solid colors and then scale inside BB.
    4. There is no maximum or minimum resolution in BB. BB always works in 1136 x 640, but does not import any image of that size, the maximum size that I recommend is 512x512 for example.
    5. Always 16:9, BB has an option to center the image in vertical or horizontal, this is within the options.

DDavies and Jamie like this.
  3. DDavies

DDavies Boxer

4. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

nothing to add, @jcalle is the man and has covered most things.

DDavies likes this.
  5. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I return to the manual for help as I need to as well: https://www.buildbox.com/manual/
    I hear there may be other threads on the forum here about these topics that are worth searching. I need this info too

6. mefistofelos

mefistofelos Boxer

Thanks for the info.
    I'm wandering what is the "many" in "too many objects" or "too many connections".
    That's really relative - how much is many? 10? 50? 500?

Cheers

DDavies likes this.
  7. DDavies

DDavies Boxer

Yes, me too.
    Also I think there are more tips people have to share. I wish more people will join. I'll try to do it after gaining enough experience with buildbox. like not using too many worlds, they will cause the game to load for a long time, or using clone feature properly to improve performance and decrease download size.

Jamie likes this.