How To Animated Between Menues

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by eyal, Apr 7, 2017.

1. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Hi,
    Is there a way for me to do the following ;

1. show the select level button
    2. once pushed the screen will be animated as open close
    3. then move to the level

At the moment in BB all the transitions between level select is very cut. there is no style to it.
    I don't want to animate a menu, I want to animate the pass between screens

2. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

You can get some sort of animation to behave how you want it to, create a new world or UI ,place it in between UI & World,
    and then get a navigation button ,have it cover the whole screen and you'l have:
    - User will now go through Start UI - Go to Animation UI - Needs to press & goes to Main Menu or World Select. :)

It might not be exacly what you want, but you've got to work with what you've got ;)

3. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hey @eyal, what @FranciscoBala mentions above is a great solution, especially if you want various objects to display in different places to the menu you're currently on, ie, using another completely new UI, gives you the flexibility to create some pretty fancy menus, without your users knowing they've passed from one menu to another.

I just wanted to make sure you were aware that each menu (UI) has 3 x different Event States.
    Open - what animations happen when the menu is first selected (buttons and text flying in etc)
    Idle - The idle state of the menu, once the opening state has finished animating.
    Close - The animation that will trigger, prior to going jumping to your selected destination (main game or shop etc).

Each UI has these 3 states, so you can create some really interesting transitions between all of your menus.

I'm pretty sure you should be able to achieve what you want using the 'close' state. Just make sure you give it enough frames to achieve what you want visually before it jumps to the selected level.

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 14.04.40.png

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    eyal and FranciscoBala like this.
  4. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

Thanks to that explanation I was able to mentalize & figure out how they did that little tweak in the "Play" button in "Glitch", as if the button is basically asking you to click on it with a constant vibrant reminder :D

@Phill Mason Thank you for clearing that up :cool:

eyal and Phill Mason like this.
  5. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Thank you for that.
    I spoke with some guys that have casual games in the market and successful games, and all of them said that the transitions of the menus in BB games look "off", meaning that for example in games that are coded you can create a much more dynamic and "alive" feel to it and with BB it all feels like a power point.

6. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

I don't see any possibility in the close state. there is no animation key points like in the open and idle

7. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

thank you for . tried that but for some reason I don't see my menu "under" the new ui once it's opened.
    I made a gate that closes and open once you push the play button. why can't I see the menu behind it ?

8. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

Weird, have you duplicated the Main Menu UI, changed to be as you wish (animated) & then place it in the correct order?
    You can visually see the menu, or is it simply not there?
    Get us a Bb.doc example of whats happening to you & we shall see how to help you better :)

9. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

I have the main UI which leads to the new ui which leads to the level selector

10. Phill Mason

Sure there is, you have to make sure you have entered enough frames for your animation. Perhaps your "frames" count is set to 0 or 1, change it to 25 or whatever length you want and you can easily add keyframes. It's no different to any of the other states.

Christoph likes this.
  11. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

So this is how you need to have it.. (I think :rolleyes: No pro myself :p )
    [​IMG]
    What I did in my case, was to have 2 different Menu's ,one as a Opening which is animated ,and the other one as the regular you'l be using in game ,you'l only get the first animated menu once game has started, and all re-directions to it I have Disabled, so if you "Start Game" you go to "Animated Menu", but when you go to "Coin Shop" or anywhere really and come back to the Main Menu, you'l be taken to the "Simple Menu UI" :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    eyal likes this.
  12. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

u r right. didn't see it.
    but what am I doing wrong ?
    I have set it up like u said.
    but when the close animation is done, the level selector is not showing up but after 2 sec which make the whole thing ridicules

13. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

here is what is happening - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ocsh064izka6vw/menus.mp4?dl=0

14. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

@eyal Change the frames lenght like @Phill Mason said, tweak it and test with different values ;)
    (the bigger the longer it takes I believe, haven't quite had time to try it.)

You can also check if the Opening/Idle are not with recorded positions

15. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

did u see this ? this is what happens ? https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ocsh064izka6vw/menus.mp4?dl=0

16. Phill Mason

It's difficult to tell without seeing your bbdoc, but from watching the video, it looks like you want your green transition doors to close and then open up to your "level select" screen - correct?

Check which frame number the left hand side of your green door hits the centre of your screen and make sure the right hand side door hits the centre of the screen on exactly the same frame. On the video they are out of sync with each other, which looks odd. If the closed door animation ends on lets say, frame 30, make sure you only have 30 frames in total, as you will see unwanted animation frames at the end of your doors closing if not.

I would personally end that "close state" animation right there - with the doors closed.

Now go to your "level select" UI and make the "open state" animation begin with your doors closed and animate them into an open position for the "idle state". This way, the user makes the transition from "start menu" to "level select" UI, but it all appears to be one smooth transition. Hope that all makes sense? :)

eyal and Christoph like this.
  17. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

thank you for that.
    1. the animation is just a demonstration of what I wanted to do so of course it's not there yet
    2. still there is 2 sec break between the change of the UI's where you can still see the main menu -how do I prevent that ?

18. Phill Mason

I give up :) ................ I'm kidding.
    Unless there is a bug, I've told you everything that I know about how the menu animations should work.
    For the record, I don't think it's a bug, as mine and others seem to be working okay.

My guess is, you have an unwanted keyframes somewhere in one of the states that is still playing out before leaping to your levels screen.
    Check and double check every state between your main screen and then your levels screen. You may find you have a high number of unwanted frames in your "open" state on your levels screen, but you say you can still see the main menu for 2 secs after the animation, so that would indicate unwanted frames after your "close" state on your main menu. You may only be using 30 frames of animation, but your close frame count is set to something like 90. Check to see. Always tricky to try and diagnose without the bbdoc.

Failing that, it could be a bug, so send your doc to support.

eyal and FranciscoBala like this.