Create A Lighting Effect Like In The Cave Levels Of Color Switch?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by appsushi, Feb 26, 2017.

1. appsushi

appsushi Boxer

Hey guys,

Has anyone figured out how to do a limited lighting effect similar to what is done in the Color Switch CAVE levels? Including a picture to demonstrate. What I want to do is a little different in that instead of a radius of light, I want a cone that gets wider the further away from the character sort of like a flashlight. Has anyone done this?

Attached Files:

2. appsushi

appsushi Boxer

Ok, I think I've partially solved my own question here but I still would like further feedback. What I did was place a black light behind my character and attached it to the character. You also then have to set the radius to something high (1,000 in my case). The issue is that even though the light is attached through connection mode, it doesn't "follow" the character when it moves. It stays in the starting location.

Is there a way to get the light to attach and stay with the character?
    blacklight1.JPG blacklight2.JPG blacklight3.JPG

3. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

Hi man ,have a look at this it might help you :)

4. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

5. tite

tite Boxer

Phoebe likes this.
  6. appsushi

appsushi Boxer

Hey guys...I solved this a different way and one in which I THINK has a lower computing cost. What I did was just create a mask layer that I placed over the background and attached to the character. Both ways, the initial mistake I was making was I was attaching the mask / light source to the character rather than attaching the character to the mask / light source. Didn't realize initially that would make such a difference but it does. Tite, that image was pretty much what I did. My image was a harsher cone though as I was trying to have a flashlight type effect. Had I used the dark light source and attached it behind the character, I think the lighting would look nicer as it would adjust the "cone" as the character moved in space.

Thanks!

AppNasty and swnd like this.