Anyway Of Changing Character Collision Shape When Changing Direction?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Phill Mason, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

I have a helicopter graphic that is round at the front and pointed towards the end. When I change direction, the characters collision shape is all screwed up (backwards). This causes unwanted collisions with objects that do not visually correspond to how it looks in the game.

Q: Is there anyway we can change the collision shape to better reflect the direction of the character? If not, @Andy, is this something we can hope to see in a future update of BB?

2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

if your using advanced components, you can.
    so if you have advanced component left, add your image for left direction,
    then have advanced component right, add your right direction image in there.
    Then each component, image has its own collider, and you can alter the collision shapes in there.
    Gee i hope that makes sense LOL

Jaky1 likes this.
  3. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

4. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Thanks @playsgames6666 and @Jaky1, I did consider the advanced components, but just realised I forgot to mention that I'm using a joystick to control the character and not left/right buttons, so I don't have that option for adding an advanced component and alternate images for a left and right movement with the joystick - only buttons.

I do think it should be a standard BB feature though, there's an option to flip the image direction, which I'm using and it looks great, but why not flip the collision shape also? Doesn't make any sense to me. I'm sure there's an awkward coding reason behind it all, but here's hoping in may get added soon. Many thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.

5. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Do you want it to change when it touches a Wall?

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

The short answer is no, you need to find a symmetrical compromise with the collision shape if possible. It is on the radar... but have been told it's non-trivial to implement currently. I can bring it up again and see what can be done.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  7. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

@Phill Mason I suppose you could make the advance move of the character on collision with the wall and it will change its collision shape and animation but that, removes its control of joystick, I dunno why. It is nearly possible but the control goes away..o_O

8. Kill DM

Kill DM Boxer

I would like to see the collide shape change directions for both the main character and enemies when I have them collide with a transform logic. It would be nice if they fix collision direction in a future update!

comicsmathias likes this.