How To Display Text

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by sharma.shivam, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sharma.shivam

sharma.shivam Avid Boxer

hi guys,i am having a question.can anyone please tell me how can i a display text
    the character collides with an object.

2. sharma.shivam

sharma.shivam Avid Boxer

any idea please

3. steadyrollinman

steadyrollinman Boxer

I dont think this is possilbe.. the only way a text is shown on collision is using actions and check show points or coins reward...and i dont think thats what u want.

4. sharma.shivam

sharma.shivam Avid Boxer

hi @steadyrollinman,thank you for the reply,actually i am working on a platformer type game.
    and what i want is that when my character collides with a decoration piece(like an signboard),
    it can display text like instructions etc.any idea please?

5. steadyrollinman

steadyrollinman Boxer

ok the only way you can do this is with a wierd hack using actions...so the decoration would be the default animation and the action animation will have to be the image of the text you want. now when u collide with decoration it will change it to the text image...2 things to note here are that u need to set the duration to e.g 9999 if u want it to last long and also animation placement can be changed to replace or overlay depending if u want to hide the decoration or not... this is the only way i can think of..it would mean u would have to create image of the text but it works if u really want to.

6. sharma.shivam

sharma.shivam Avid Boxer

hi,i just thought of a new way to do it but i dont know for sure if it would work or not.
    can you please tell me how to spawn an object but only once.

7. steadyrollinman

steadyrollinman Boxer

u cant do that simply either..u can hack it but this depends on various game play settings.How do u want to spawn the object? is it moving? does it need to be visible before spawn or after spawn? I also wanted to limit the spawner but i was not able to do it directly.......what i ended up doing was destroying the objects immediately as they spawned once i reached closer to it by placing an object set to destroy enemy, above it and setting its wake up by distance. so it worked out for me in that case...

8. sharma.shivam

sharma.shivam Avid Boxer

hi @steadyrollinman,thank you for the advice,that is a really good idea.

9. Hoodle

Hoodle Boxer

You could use a menu jump that opens a dialog box in the game with instructions.

Like a pause screen etc.