If I Recreate A Mario Type Man For My Game. Would Nintendo Sue Me For That?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Jaky1, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

If I make a character, a man pixel art 8 biy style. Similar to mario but nothing like it. Because this is only way to create a 8 bit man in a game.

It's colors. Structure everything is different but the posture is kind of similar because that is I think only way to make such a character. So if I recreate it would that be a problem for me from Nintendo. I mean I am not copying there graphic. And gameplay can't be copyrighted.

So let me know guys.

Thanks

2. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

I am not 100% sure, but honestly, even IF they EVER noticed your game, they wouldn't bother... Just type "super mario" on play store, do you think if they were concerned of these clones they would had let them be?
    And these games are TOTALLY designed like super mario, specifically to attract attention and downloads BECAUSE of super mario.. And some have like 5 million downloads.

Now the super mario character is a trademark, so IF you copy it 100%, and IF they notice that, and IF it bothers them that you did that, then maybe they will warn you to change it. But Sue you, lol, NO.

But as long as you don't copy the character as it is you are good.
    Maybe you could show us the character though, just to tell you if we think it looks very similar to super mario?

SuperVudu and Jaky1 like this.
  3. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Thanks bro. It is completely different than Mario. Haven't made it yet :)

4. jayloh90

jayloh90 Boxer

Dont think they can sue you depending on how similar it looks to mario. Youd have to make a ton of money for them to even notice you though.

5. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

But why then mimic mario? When you can just be purely original and make your own character.

SuperVudu and Jaky1 like this.
  6. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

I made a original. :)

SuperVudu and AppNasty like this.