Forced Movement Whiplashes Character Upwards

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by pochat, Dec 29, 2016.

1. pochat

pochat Boxer

Hi Everyone,

I hope all of you are having fun building your games.

I am building a top view vertical scroller game, I have forced movement in the world so the camera always moves up. It all looks great except for one thing: When my character encounters an obstacle it stops as expected, however the camera keeps on accumulating some sort of force that, when moving the character to any side to go around the obstacle, it shoots upwards (as it accumulated some speed).

I was able to fix this for the sides with Left and Right Lean force, however I can't find a way to fix it when it goes up.

Any ideas?

I appreciate your time, see images attached.

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 1.30.47 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 1.37.08 PM.jpg

2. pochat

pochat Boxer

Anybody that may help with this? thanks for your time! :)

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I'm not really sure what the problem is. Can you make a video of the behavior?

4. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

try to remove forced movement from world settings

Christoph likes this.
  5. pochat

pochat Boxer

I'm making a video so you can see it now, it's uploading. Thanks for your help!! :)

6. pochat

pochat Boxer

@wesam_badr @Christoph Hi Wesam and Christoph, I deleted forced movement and still the same. I have been playing with these settings for the last 4 days, no luck. I have made a video that explains what is happening. Do you mind taking a look at it? Maybe my approach is not correct and there is an easier way of doing this.
    Thank you for your time, I appreciate it. Video here:

7. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

we can't know it will need many experiments to find a solution. however, try to bring the frame more closely to the character so if it gets stuck is going to die.

Christoph likes this.
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

ok. I see the problem and I have seen this before. I think this is a BB physics engine thing. I would send this exact video to support and see what they say. I doubt this gets a fix though in BB 2. I think this is a big problem that's very difficult to fix. I hope to be mistaken. As wesam says, you'll need a workaround from a game design point of view. For example an enemy that's chasing you from behind or that you are not able at all to touch any obstacle. Something like that.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  9. pochat

pochat Boxer

Thanks for both of your replies, I'll send this to support for sure. Maybe that is why a lot of the BB templates have games that the character dies as soon as it touches a wall or obstacle. Let's see what BB support says.

Christoph likes this.
  10. minibraun

minibraun Boxer

Hi pochat, I feel your pain. I have the same problems, but out of the two problems I'm more concerned with not dying if you get left behind.
    Did they get back to you?

pochat likes this.
  11. pochat

pochat Boxer

Hi,

They did get back to me. So it basically comes down that BB is an engine based on physics, therefore this type of movement won't be possible yet.

I'm thinking about a new approach for my game.

Also, I think I saw somewhere that there might be a tower defence game coming up in Buildbox, I wonder if they still base it on physics.

Christoph likes this.
  12. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

The tower defense is a preset. So it's possible right now to make it . At least that's what I understood

13. pochat

pochat Boxer

I haven't seen it as a preset. Is it out yet?

14. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

It's not out yet. But just because it's not out that doesn't mean you can't build it right now :) just like any other preset, if you start from default , you can build it from scratch

pochat likes this.
  15. pochat

pochat Boxer

Ah ok. That's great to know. I was waiting for the preset!