Would Being Under 18 Affect A Publisher Deal?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Wa1rus, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Wa1rus

Wa1rus Boxer

If I am under 18, and I have submitted a solid game to a publisher, and they have interest in publishing it, would being under 18 affect the deal? My parents can co-sign and listen over deals or chats to be part of it, but overall how do publishers respond to this? I know in book publishing there are some publishers who accept under 18, while some don't. As for the publishers I am referring to, I am talking about Ketchapp, Nanovation, Umbrella, etc.

2. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

Yeah,Well i am 14 and i'm also curious about this,Does or age affect any kind of publishing deals or problems?,or should we write on behalf of parents/guardians name and sent???

3. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Hey man... Why would that even bother you at this point? I mean, even if you need to sign a contract which would require that you are an adult to sign, your parents can do it for you (or an adult you trust) so I can't really see a problem.
    Plus, why don't you ask the companies IF they show interest in your games? It's not like they will walk away and reject a game they selected because it will make THEM money just because you are under 18.
    For the time concentrate on learning the software and keep making games, the learning process never really stops. And one day a publishing company will surely accept your game. Age doesn't matter, only the quality of the game.

Christoph likes this.
  4. Wa1rus

Wa1rus Boxer

There are many things an 18 year old can do that someone below can not. For right now, I was considering continuing to self publish my own apps so that I can have a history of my progress. When I make a game that is surely publish worthy I will submit it to publishers, as a game is noticeable when it is ready to be released.

5. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

That is a great strategy. Nobody in these forums got their first game published. Many have created multiple games and still struggle to get a publishing deal. Others got their games published, but very soon realized that it takes more and more to succeed in the app store nowadays. It is tough out there, but sure there is room for more (there always is). It is just NOT that easy...
    Getting your game picked by a publishing company may be a step toward the right direction, but nothing more than a step.
    Before you even get to that step, however, MAKE GAMES! Experiment with Buildbox, get to learn its tricks and twists and eventually making games will get much easier. And fun.
    Once you get the hang of it and you reach the point where you know how to polish your games, getting your game published is a matter of time.
    I wish you the best of luck

harislatif, Wa1rus and Christoph like this.