Jumpy (published By Ketchapp)

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by MichKrane, Jan 8, 2017.

1. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Ok first of all, congrats. Not many people get a response from ketchapp, no matter their response may be.
    Secondly, I am curious as to which game you sent them. Could you tell us, just so we know please?

2. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Yeah I think an itunes developer account is a must. I am sorry mate, but you are gonna have to pay 100$.. I know it sucks, but hey, you can't make omelette without breaking eggs

Christoph, telerebor and Jaky1 like this.
  3. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Yes, they published buildbox games, but only ones made by buildbox founders or studios they have worked with in the past

What we are talking about is games made with buildbox by someone who hasn't worked with ketchapp before.

Jaky1 likes this.
  4. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

And I am pretty darn sure that buildbox founders did some kind of deal with ketchapp in order to publish their games, like giving them a number of buildbox copies for free... So that they could "advertise" the software and showcase its potential
    (That is JUST MY GUESS)

Jaky1 likes this.
  5. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Agreed. Games if we give them no matter how high quality and polished it is, they wouldn't even bother to reply.

6. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Reskins aren't rare. In fact, I am considering reskinning a game that I made. If the original idea is good, why not add some extra spice with a new look?

7. spicedbeangames

There's a ton of really good games that get zero attention on the App Store. It just demonstrates how difficult it is now. Tens of thousands of apps are submitted daily compared to just 3-4 years ago when it was under 10k.

This Christmas compared to the previous one, my apps didn't do as well on Amazon because the big players have now just swamped that app store. Amazon has traditionally been a strong market place for me.

Now, there's a bunch of people out there globe trotting giving talks and power point presentations and making a ton of cash as Indies look for the 'holy grail' of getting a hit game - just look at Pocket Gamer for example - its packed full of Expos where poor little Indie dev needs to fork out $500 to attend to hear someone give THEIR view on what works to unlock success.

In a nutshell - Indie devs are REALLY bad at PR and pre launch build up and if you plan this, and your game is a knock out, the players will come. Too many just push a game out with probably 1 weeks 'pr' and then expect the downloads to roll in. There's more to it than that and more Indie devs need to understand how to build a marketing campaign with/out budget to build awareness prior to launch.

8. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

It's not about reskin, it is about, we provide such polished, quality games and they just ignore it.

9. spicedbeangames

They may not have seen it. It's like applying for a job. HR departments see thousands of applications but unless they use technology, are unable to respond to every single response.

The key today is to get connections. You can attend free expo events and meet ups depending on your country/location and get some contacts for publishers. They are more likely to read an email from someone they know, than an unknown entity.

10. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

whens its released i will tell you, Still adding a few things.
    I knew it wasn't there Genre but thought i would give it go. you never know unless you try.

Christoph likes this.
  11. Arsmen Studio

Arsmen Studio Avid Boxer

Guys it doesn't matter how beautiful or cool or polished is a game... if a big publisher like the game they WILL GET IT ! You can even send them a game with only a picture without trailer and other thing .. IF THEY WANT IT THEY GET IT , PROMOTE IT AND THEY GOT MILLIONS OF DOWNLOADS! It depends all on publishers. If they like it they take it! It can be even a stupid game not polished if they took it they will work on it like fortfay games did but Ketchapp last years want only games ready to publish. Everything depends on ketchup style and " Like it or not".

Christoph, Jaky1 and playsgames6666 like this.
  12. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Fortafy started small right? then eventually became huge?

13. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

LOL, Fortify, I think Fortafy himself was a singer is a singer, in hip hop genre,
    Now he has some other celebrities work along with him in internet marketing.
    They make meme's and videos and add products in them as a way of advertising, marketing.
    So nearly every video of theres you watch has a product in it they advertising, in a subtle way.
    They have only ever published two games that i know of.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Christoph and Jaky1 like this.
  14. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

I have talked to Marc Lejeune, of Fortafy and CEO of Eyebox games. Very nice guy. I did not get to publish with them but still very nice guys.

15. Arsmen Studio

Arsmen Studio Avid Boxer

Yes , They want original game ideas and ONLY ONE TAP GAMES. Very nice Guys!

Jaky1 likes this.
  16. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

So, after all, it all comes down to game promotion. How many people will get to see your game and how your game will be presented. Originality and quality come second.

So a new question pops up. We are the designers, we make the games. But we don't have any serious way of marketing them.
    I know this has been discussed in the past in these forums and I apologize for being repetitive, but is there a way to help each other? I mean for a game designers' community we didn't do that much market wise.

Remember, flappy bird was a STUPID game and NO, it wasn't addictive because it was ridiculously hard. It was addictive because everyone tried to beat their friends' scores, and it all began with some celebrities tweeting about how hard the game was (I did a bit of research). The game wasn't a diamond, it was stupid, and it started getting attention months after it was first released. Also remember when the developer withdrew the game from the app store and play store? It turned out that he used paid (and fake) downloads from india just to get his game boosted on the stores, then when apple and google discovered that they forced him to take the game down.

Also, TRENDS. Oh man, even ketchapp went crazy on them. PPAP, Bottle flip, even the Mannequin Challenge...Jesus.. Even the buildbox made game "juju on the beat" which by the way SUCKED, had success because of the trend.. I guess people are very easily influenced by things like that..

The point I am trying to make is that MARKETING IS EVERYTHING. So, is there a way to create a fanbase? And what would it take? I mean, there's like hundreds of people in this community, someone has to have a good and applicable idea. And so many people combining forces, how hard could it be?

Jaky1 likes this.
  17. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

It is very hard to build a fanbase. takes serious time

18. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Nobody said otherwise. But what does that mean?
    And since some people here know how to create a fanbase, can't they share their knowledge so we could do a community project? I mean, if it is very hard for ONE person, wouldn't it be much easier if tens of people contributed? why don't we just do something together?

Jaky1 likes this.
  19. edwin_simonds

edwin_simonds Boxer

Agree with @Christoph. And remember Ball Jump was a very successful game for Ketchapp and Yabado, one of their most successful around the time it was released so it's unsurprising they want to release similar games. While I think Ketchapp have had more original titles, Jumpy still ticks enough boxes for them to want to publish.

Aaron F likes this.
  20. pukaw888

pukaw888 Boxer