How To Show % Of Progress

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by eyal, Dec 29, 2016.

1. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Hi,

How can it be done ?

How can I show the % of progress relative to the starting point ?

2. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

eyal likes this.
  3. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

well I know that :) but if u look closely at the tutorial you will see that % changes when the user picks the diamond. This is not a progress. This will show 100% even if the player didn't reach that place in the game. and what happens if he doesn't pick the coin ?

Jaky1 likes this.
  4. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

That's a problem :confused:

5. tanvir8955

tanvir8955 Avid Boxer

Level Approach: If you are designing level completion type, design it. Calculate the whole distance, divide it by 100 for getting Unit Point Distance. Place a point/coin action at every Unit Point Distance (in a way that character must have to grab it, making the action across the screen and giving it 0 opacity). It should do it. You can then show the current points/coins collected at top of the Game UI and also in the Game Over UI with a % after it.

World Approach: If you are designing world completion type with the restart checkpoint, the approach is similar.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  6. Phoebe

Phoebe Serious Boxer

It's easier when you see it :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Vikas likes this.
  7. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

tanvir8955 likes this.
  8. tanvir8955

tanvir8955 Avid Boxer

Jaky1 likes this.
  9. oni3350

oni3350 Boxer

There are a number of ways to achieve this like some others have suggested.

Ive used a different method in my new game.

I used the score based text system... so drag a new label onto your UI, change function to Score and set score type to Distance. What this does is display the amount of pixels moved.

Now my game is based on level completion, and in my case I want it to count to 100 and then finish the level. So I created 10 scenes in my world each with a scene distance of 1000. Then in my game mind map I clicked on the world once to bring up its world settings. Change Score Multiplayer to 0.01 and now that counter will count much slower, at a normal pace.

There is some math involved to getting it precise, and honestly I don't know exactly, but with that setting it works out OK. Just in my end scene I had to adjust the scene distance to 1250 and have menu jump right at the end for it to complete right on 100...... so its a little bit of tweaking the numbers and adjusting your scene distance to get right.

meremy, Christoph and Jaky1 like this.
  10. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

Is it possible to make Level (World) Progress Bar but as a graphic stripe, not the text with numbers?
    And not based on distance because I'm using random scenes where player collects Points so he can miss many coins and progress should be based on collected Points.
    For example to finish this World he needs to collect 20 Points. He can play for hours trying to find them but once found a progress bar will display graphical representation of the progress. I hope it's clear.

11. fanarin

fanarin Boxer

That is an amazing question. I would also like to learn.