Can The Background Layer Be Massive And The Camera View A Small Percentage Of That?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by furneauxhugo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. furneauxhugo

furneauxhugo Boxer

Hi,

Here is an image that explains what I mean a bit more:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n58xbiwe7soibfc/gamebg.png?dl=0

I want the viewport to move where the character goes but I would like this to be able to move in each direction. e.g. imagine a toy car moving around on a big map.

Any work arounds to make this work on Buildbox?

Thanks a lot

2. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Best use of a "background" image would be something that is tillable. You can make a background that is large.

The other option would be to just lay in the graphic you want to use as a background as an object and set it as a decoration.

3. furneauxhugo

furneauxhugo Boxer

Thanks, I don't think I explained what I was after that well! In terms of background I meant for example a 10,000 x 10,000 canvas where enemies and objects etc are set out. The camera viewport would be a load smaller than that so the character could 'explore' the whole canvas

4. ShadowLabs

ShadowLabs Boxer

Go and see some tutorials on the Buildbox YouTube page, they have character tutorials

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Yes, this is possible. Just try it. The easiest way to test this out quickly is using a flappy or helicopter preset. Make sure you set deletion thresholds large enough to not remove your objects from behind, top and bottom that you might come back to.

6. furneauxhugo

furneauxhugo Boxer

Thanks - will give that a go