How To Build With Xcode 8 And Ios 10…

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by dan_counsell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. dan_counsell

dan_counsell Avid Boxer

I know in an ideal world we'll all wait for a Buildbox update that works with the latest releases from Apple, but that's not always possible.

So I thought I'd start thread where we can discuss what changes need to be made to get Buildbox 2.2.4 projects building with Xcode 8. Please feel free to update this thread if you have any info on this.

Here's my findings so far…

Building and running appears to work just fine locally on my iOS Device running iOS 10

I'm using:
    - Mac OS X 10.11.6
    - Buildbox 2.2.4
    - Xcode 8.0 (8A218a)

I've not tried to archive and submit to the App Store yet, so can't confirm if this works or if there's issues.

Will update this thread as soon as i have more information.

Happy Buildboxing!

trudnai likes this.
  2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

@trudnai this thread is right up your alley

3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

yep, i could compile, build and debug with Xcode 8 GM Seed, just updating to the latest but i believe that should be the very same as the GM Seed anyways.

My guess is there might be some issues with 3rd party libraries like advertisements and analytics, so those should be fully tested before we can 100% tell that the game can be built by Xcode 8.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  4. dusan20002

dusan20002 Avid Boxer

Hi @dan_counsell
    Please be aware if you using Ads in game, most of Advertising Networks need to update their SDK to iOS 10 supportive.
    Also when submitting your game to iTunes Connect, especially with AdMob Ads, you will receive email from iTunes Connect Review Team:
    "
    This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSCalendarsUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSBluetoothPeripheralUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

Once these issues have been corrected, you can then redeliver the corrected binary.

Regards,

The App Store team"

We have added HeyZap Ad in game ( AdMob + UnityAds connected in HeyZap Dashboard ) so we needed to add additional Frameworks to work properly submitted Game and receive message above.
    After doing research on it, it seam that AdMob Firebase adding those frameworks automatically but they never appear on Screen asking user if thy will allow them to use their info.
    Most probably we will need to wait for some time for fix of it, but you could add in Info.plist:
    - NSCalendarsUsageDescription key - Now Your Plans for description or something like that.
    - NSBluetoothPeripheralUsageDescription key - Using Bluetooth For Listening Music or something like that.

After our game passing Review Process we have try it with TestFlight and all working just fine.

Hope we could be from help here sharing our experience with Xcode 8 and iOS 10.

5. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

I am going to watch this thread as one of my machines has been updated. I have not tried exporting yet though.

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

@dan_counsell If i try to run the project on iPhone 6 / iOS 8.1 simulator then it crashes. Could you please confirm this?

7. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

I thought the next solution.

1 - I uninstall Xcode 8 and install Xcode 7

2 - I do the build and send to the TestFlight directly and test on my iPhone with IOS 10. If I send direct Xcode 7 to test flight I can test on my iPhone with IOS 10? Another possibility is I create an app and sync with my iPhone with IOS 10.

8. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

With Xcode 7 you will not be able to upload your build directly to your phone. You should be fine with TestFlight, I have downloaded few apps like that... However, you cannot use instruments or anything to check performance, you only can see if that game is smooth and if phone gets hot during game play -- not very accurate, but hey... :)

9. Pandemonium

Pandemonium Boxer

Any updates / news on this one?