Bb2 Duplicate World Always Crashes Bb2

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by CODE K, Oct 12, 2016.

1. CODE K

CODE K Boxer

Hi Guys,

does anyone of you have the same Problem? Or maybe a solution?
    I have created a world with yet 11 scenes (random) within.

And if i would duplicate it now with (A,S,W,D) it always immediately crashes... I have no idea why...

Any ideas on this?

Thanks much for any help/feedback on this!

Best regards,
    Chris

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Happens to me after a while - which is why I save often. I guess BB memory cache gets full and just crashes. It's not uncommon with game engine software and certainly not exclusive to BB.

3. CODE K

CODE K Boxer

thanks for your answer! do you know any workaround? as i currently can't duplicate my entire world... maybe there's something i can do to clean up the cache or so?

Thanks much and best,
    C

4. spicedbeangames

Its probably too big or theres too many assets to make it happen. You can try cleaning up your Atlases for any unused etc. Or, create a new world, then copy/paste over each asset from the original world to get you started. That's what I have done sometimes.

5. CODE K

CODE K Boxer

i've already tried both suggestion but does not work even. I've cleaned up atlases as also tried to only copy 1 scene from one world to the other... still always crashes... duplicating a scene within the same world works fine... everything else also i guess -.-

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

What version are you using. If not the latest try to update to 2.2.5. I have done this a lot lately and didn't had any problems. I'm on a Mac.

7. CODE K

CODE K Boxer

Hi Christoph, i'm already using 2.2.5 also on macOS Sierra. Currently i've found out that it has to be a problem with specific scenes only!

I could copy a few scenes successfully over to the new world. But only some are crashing... But they are also scene with only a few objects.. not much...

Best regards,
    C

Christoph likes this.
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Try to debug the particular scene with the Debug Mode on. Delete certain objects you think could cause the issue and copy the scene again. Until you find the culprit. I'm sure you'll find out the problem. If it is something noteworthy send a sample doc to support so they can fix it for the next release.

CODE K likes this.
  9. spicedbeangames

Dont try to copy over an entire scene. Just copy over all the assets 1 at a time. Pain in the backside, but should get the job done.

So create new World. Adjust world settings to your game. Then open the scene you wish to copy from - copy first asset, open new worlds first scene and paste the asset. Its a long work around but one that should at least get you there.

CODE K likes this.
  10. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

I've had this issue and the cause is that you have grouped assets in the scenes. Ungroup any assets in the whole world and you'll be good to go.

Hope it helps.

CODE K likes this.
  11. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Try using CTRL-C / CTRL-V instead. Also, please send example file with the issue to support@buildbox.com so we can check it. We are currently fixing one similar instance where using "D" to duplicate a scene will crash but using the other method will work fine.

12. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Oh, thanks for this. I don't think this has ever been reported to support. Will check it out.

EDIT: I tested this quickly on a new file and did not have any issues. So please if anyone has examples of this particular crash (or any... especially repeatable crashes) please send to support.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Sean Buildbox and Shawh like this.
  13. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

@Andy I was going to report it but wasn't able to reproduce the bug on my other projects, but after seeing it again, it's confirmed. So I guess it depends if the world/scene is a bit heavy in terms of assets, it only happens then. You're welcome.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  14. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@Shawh thanks for the additional info

15. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I have heavy scenes and hadn't had any problems copying it from one world to another. I literally did this just this week-end. With heavy I mean a lot of objects (platforms, enemies, decorations, with and without animations, wake up and spawner components). Grouped and none grouped objects. And a lot of actions. So the problem should be somewhere else.

16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

In general this is a perfect example of our daily routine (especially @theseanjonathanconnor). It's super important to provide example files when you do have a problem, especially one that is a repeatable crash. Crashes take top priority for fixing in most cases, but they are near impossible to fix if we can't reliably duplicate the issue.

CODE K, Sean Buildbox and Christoph like this.
  17. CODE K

CODE K Boxer

@Shawh i think this is not the problem here, as i could successfully copy over a few scenes which also had grouped objects...

It's only happening on a few scenes... And i can confirm that if i deleted all those scenes, causing crashes when copying then i could duplicate successfully the entire world also... So it's definitely a problem with a few of my scenes...

@Andy if you would like, i could send you my .bbdoc file and you can let your developers troubleshoot/test with it? I can say that trying to copy for example the Scene 1 from "default world" into "turbo world" it ALWAYS causes a immediate crash of BB2. Just let me know.

best regards,
    Chris

18. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

this might be why... as far as I understand... @Andy has repeatedly posted not to update to Sierra on your development system, not to use xcode 8, or ios 10 on your test device... not yet anyway...

19. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Mostly it should run on Sierra fine. We just haven't used it a ton yet to make sure there are no issues. I will be installing it on my main work machine this month. I don't expect any major issues. I would definitely hold off though on Xcode 8 and iOS 10 SDK... unless you or your developer is comfortable dealing with some of the issue that might come up.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I still would recommend keeping your production machine on El Capitan. The main issue with Sierra is that you will need to downgrade Xcode if you want a seamless experience.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  20. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Yes, please send BBDOC and clear steps to reproduce to support@buildbox.com.