New Buildbox 2.x Book Out

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by tyris_audronis, Oct 2, 2016.

1. tyris_audronis

tyris_audronis Boxer

Yes, you are correct... the DLC is crucial. As I understand it, the publisher is lagging a bit on getting the links active. As I'm sure there are going to be a lot of requests on this subject... I'm posting my personal Google Drive link for the files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-CLOVnAc9MdMzJCUlFSSFV6VDQ?usp=sharing

Thanks for purchasing the book!

2. docrobertshm

docrobertshm Boxer

Thank you for the link and the quick reply. Appreciate it.

tyris_audronis likes this.
  3. anthony_williamson

anthony_williamson Boxer

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I contacted support earlier, but continued to read. Half way through I decided to check here.

FYI - The "B05665-Content-WholeArchive.zip" in your Readme.txt does not appear to exist. But "B05665-Content.zip" is 10GB, so I'm assuming it's the whole archive.

Thanks again. Love the book so far!

4. David_Afana

David_Afana Boxer

Amazon Kindle version released this evening and just downloaded it and accessed it via my Kindle App on my iPad Air 2. Looking forward to the read and content provided within your book @tyris_audronis to build amazing and awesome app games with BB!

5. Marlon Lawson

Marlon Lawson Boxer

Is the actual book available now on PACKT, or just a Sample???

Thanks!

6. Marlon Lawson

Marlon Lawson Boxer

Did you get the actual book on your Kindle (iPad Air), or just a Sample of the book???

7. russellartista

russellartista Boxer

@tyris_audronis I just bought the kindle version. I can't wait to dive into it this weekend. Thank you!

8. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

9. mattdev

mattdev Boxer

I purchased it from the publisher site. Well worth it.

10. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Just purchased!! Congrats

11. jbross

jbross Avid Boxer

Just bought your book last night. Looks good so far. Congratsh

12. tyris_audronis

tyris_audronis Boxer

Thank you all for your support! I'm sorry for the late reply... been catching up on some work and emails (and for some reason the forum stopped notifying me of replies). Yes, the full book is available. Also, if you're concerned with the b&w imagery inside the book. I do apologize on behalf of my publisher. Unfortunately, due to the costs involved... the printer cannot put color imagery inside the book. However, upon purchase you not only receive the links to the DLC... but also get links for all of the color imagery files (in PNG format). Finally... yes, the 10GB file is all of the content. My publisher asked that I remove the split version (as they were getting a lot of people that were not familiar with split zip files and how they work).

russellartista likes this.
  13. oni3350

oni3350 Boxer

I bought the kindle version, it has helped me a great deal with compiling and Andriod and Ios having no clue on how to code.

I have not downloaded the downloads just because of the 10GB file size, how on earth is the zip 10GB, would I absolutely benefit from it or not?

14. tyris_audronis

tyris_audronis Boxer

I think another reader of the book will have to answer this one (as obviously I'm biased... I probably wouldn't have taken the time to compile 10GB worth of assets if I didn't think it was worth it). Not only are all of the raw assets for the project in the zip... but all the raw projects (including the Studio One music session, all the Lightwave animation projects, etc). Plus, each chapter has its own BB project file. PRetty much everything you need for every tutorial in the book is in the DLC.

15. mattdev

mattdev Boxer

@oni3350 You would deifinitely benefit from downloading the assets. I too have the book and have been following along using the assets for the tutorials. Lots of high quality assets.

16. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

@tyris_audronis
    Great book .. Why no OSX Export guide in it ? It is mentioned but no guideline for OSX.

17. tyris_audronis

tyris_audronis Boxer

I'm sorry that is still in there. We had removed references to OSX (but one or two may have slipped through). I currently don't have a provisioning license to compile for OSX. However, the compilation process, and putting it up on the app store are basically the same as iOS.

Sean Buildbox and rizwanashraf like this.
  18. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Hey Tyris, I love the book .. OSX Submission procedure is a slightly different, Now you can Submit apps for OSX in the same $99 Membership you get for iOS. so i thought i should try and i did .. You let Xcode Create Certificates for you .. Inside Preference>Accounts .. Get your certificates and then You need to Turn on App Sandbox option inside Capablities and thats it .. i had a smooth submission, App is still in review .. lets see if they approve ..

But I needed Windows and Steam etc stuff .. THANK YOU for that :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Sean Buildbox and tyris_audronis like this.
  19. tyris_audronis

tyris_audronis Boxer

And thank you for the info! We'll make sure to include it in any revised versions of the book. I'm very glad the book helped you out!

Sean Buildbox and rizwanashraf like this.