Collision Path Issues Isometric

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by CoooooF, Oct 3, 2016.

1. CoooooF

CoooooF Boxer

Hey Guys,

Im having issues creating an object that you can duck OR jump over.

If you have played the pit, there is an enemy that is a circle blade that comes towards you like a bullet. You can either jump OR duck under the object but if you duck under the blade then jump while its on top of you it kills you and im having trouble replicating that effect.

Basically there is three collision paths, neutral, duck and jump. So if you duck under my object its fine, if you jump over it its fine, but if you try and jump while ducking under the blade, you just go through the blade without dying because it goes from duck collision path to the jump collision path and doesn't hit the neutral path which would kill you.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Ive tried experimenting with group layers, multiple images and i cant crack it, if its done in the pit, there is definitely a way it can be done.

2. CoooooF

CoooooF Boxer

3. CoooooF

CoooooF Boxer

Did a visual mock-up, might make it easier to understand

collision.png

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Thats how the ghost jump works. You need to adjust the collision shapes and design accordingly so it will kill you when you want it to. For example put the blade at a height where it is impossible to go underneath. Are you sure The Pit had this?

5. CoooooF

CoooooF Boxer

I know that's how ghost jump works but that doesn't fix the issue. I have objects that you can only jump over or only duck under.

But the pit has a few items that I have recently found like the pipes, big wall and the bullet blade that you can duck under and will kill you if you release the duck while underneath the object. Almost as if there is a dynamic collision shape change

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

And you are sure you could as well jump over it?

Update:
    Ok, I just checked, you are right, there are parts you can jump over it OR slide beneath it. As far as I know, there is no possibility to achieve this with the ghost jump like it is implemented in the latest version. The collision shape goes from slide straight to jump. No way around that. So not sure if this is a bug (you should write Sean and ask) or if this is intended like that.

BUT, you can achieve what you want anyway with a little trick. Here is how:

Set up everything exactly how you have it right now. Then, put an invisible object (enemy) way over the collision shape of your jump position. Place another invisible object (decoration) at the spot where your character would start to slide. Set the linear velocity to -100 (or even higher). Then add a wake up component and choose "Collision Based" and change the Sleep value to something that when it stops it stops right on the height of your jump collision shape. Then connect the decoration object towards the enemy. Now when you start to slide underneath the obstacle, you immediately will touch the decoration object which will bring down the enemy at the height of your jump. When the player jumps now it will kill him. As everything is invisible he will never know that there is a hidden mechanic but it will work exactly how you want it to.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  7. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

BRILLIANT

Christoph likes this.
  8. CoooooF

CoooooF Boxer

You my friend... are an evil genius.

Christoph likes this.
  9. Selasu

Selasu Boxer

Just used this... seriously genius