BuildBox 2.0 will be free for BB1.3.X user?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by MethGames, Oct 23, 2015.

1. MethGames

MethGames Boxer

I think the title explain all. In particular, if it's possible, i need to know if BB2.0 will be free for customer that have bought BuildBox within 12 months of its future output.

2. sappz

sappz Guest

I too want to know about this. If I purchase the $2675 package, will I get every future updates free? And if not, how much will I have to pay for each version increment? Thanks.

3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

No pricing for Buildbox 2.0 has been made official yet. Subscriptions for Buildbox do not have any upgrade fee's but lose access to the software once the subscription is stopped. A license gives you ownership of access to Buildbox 1.X and updates to that platform but to upgrade to major new platforms (including 2.0) there will likely be an upgrade fee as with most major software.

I will add that we are still adding some features to 1.x and we will not be dropping support for 1.x any time soon.

4. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I think @TreySmith said that Buildbox 1 and Buildbox 2 will be stand-alone products such that you can use both on the same machine as separate applications. I am certainly cool with that, and I think I would prefer that over a huge update that replaces bbox 1.
    What's most important to me is that if I use a particular build of Buildbox to make a game, and as months and months pass, I get to continue to somehow access that build of Buildbox I used to make the original first version of my game in order make updates to that game. My guess is that this is feasible so that in the even that a Buildbox build is not backwards-compatible, the best way to access past builds (like the one you first made your game in) is to ask support@buildbox.com.

5. darren

darren Avid Boxer

I'm totally OK with Buildbox 2.0 not being backwards compatible if that helps the development. If BB2.0 has to be homogenized to keep supporting BB1.0 that's no bueno

Jamie likes this.
  6. sappz

sappz Guest

Thanks for the replies... I didn't know that buildbox 2.0 is being released as a standalone product but that sounds even greater. And from your comments what I understand is that if I subscribe the monthly membership, I won't have to pay anything extra for any new major upgrade as long as I am paying the monthly fee. Well I guess that sums it up, I'll probably start the monthly membership soon.

blackswan and Christoph like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@darren
    Nothing is set in stone yet, but we are not sacrificing BB2 quality by forcing compatibility with BB1. There will likely be some level of "importing" possible, but there may be some things that need to be rebuilt for various reasons.

Sean Buildbox and Jamie like this.
  8. MethGames

MethGames Boxer

i think it's absurd that i have to pay again for BB2 if i have bought BB1 6 month ago. this is a not really good for your customers, but maybe it's only my opinion.

9. darren

darren Avid Boxer

It's pretty normal for software to be sold for $XX and then when a new version comes out you only pay$X

I paid $2,600 for the Adobe master collection years ago and later a new version came out and it was $1,600 to upgrade.

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Hey guys just to be clear in case there is any confusion, yes BB 2.0 will require an upgrade fee, if you have purchased BB 1.x (instead of subscription) there will be a significant discount. As @darren mentioned this is typical of nearly all software companies, Adobe, Unity, Autodesk, etc... We need to charge for new major versions to keep funding development of new features.

11. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

This is the way I understood it: In terms of subscription/purchase and the fact that Buildbox 2 has new features, it is an "upgrade" in that sense, but Builbox 2 will be a stand-alone product, not a software update to Bbox 1.

12. dkatz

dkatz Boxer

When is BB 2.0 coming out? Can you give us an idea of some of the new features.

13. sappz

sappz Guest

Another thing I hope is that you've added some kind of drag and drop visual programming alternative, so that we can have more flexibility in our games. Thanks.

blackswan likes this.
  14. pukaw888

pukaw888 Boxer

would be good also for the new features of BB the TRANSFORM-Position and Rotate can have key frame animation controls...like you do with after effects or any other animation software, in this manner, we can do a lot of special tricks in animating objects to add in the scene and to interact with the character or a nice looking animated decoration of an object that is animated and controlled within BB instead of animating a particular object outside of BB and bring to BB which will be a big file size....this will be cool feature for BB.

15. duckJAI

duckJAI Boxer

I just hope customers of BB get some type of discount for being loyal to the platform, especially the early adopters. I know that would be unfair to give discounts to early users compared to present users, but maybe all BB users/owners should get some type of special rate compared to brand new customers - just a thought.

sysads likes this.
  16. Lee Fellows

Lee Fellows Boxer

STOP CALLING IT AN UPGRADE/UPDATE PLEASE.... This is driving confusion.....
    (Unless this 2.0 replaces 1.x)

Correct me if wrong... But 1.x and 2.0 will be separate products...
    And assume both 1.x and 2.x will be kept alive and running...

I am also expecting 2.0 to work for different game formats, so 1.x will be for all what we know of so far...

& 2.0 I am expecting level based options for games....

Looking forward to it, but would like to know the expected price tag & expected release month...!!!
    (throw us a bone)

duckJAI likes this.
  17. duckJAI

duckJAI Boxer

^^ would really like to know some of the new/powerful features of this as well! At least give us something to look forward to ;)

18. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Hey Guys, let me clearly explain how this works.

Our major new versions (2.0, 3.0, 4.0, etc) will work like most other software companies (Unity, Maya, Screenflow, Video Software, etc).

When 2.0 is released, we will actively update Buildbox 1.0 for maintenance only fixes for about 2 years (like new versions of iOS, ad company SDKs, etc). All new research, development and features will be put into 2.0... no new features will be added to 1.x.

IF YOU PURCHASED A LICENSE:

* If you own a license to Buildbox 1.0, you will get a discount for version 2.0 (around 50%). You can also move over to a subscription plan if you prefer.

IF YOU HAVE AN ACTIVE SUBSCRIPTION

* If you have an active license subscription, you will get the new version for free... but it's only active while your subscription is active. When you unsubscribe, you lose all access to Buildbox (1.0 and 2.0).

Let us know if you have any questions.

19. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

One final note, anyone who has purchased a full license within 45 days of our launch gets Buildbox 2.0 for free.

20. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

@TreySmith How about me that bought a years subscription just to see how the engine helps me with my game ideas? What will I get for v2?