Clones Questions!

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Nanotaku, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Nanotaku

Nanotaku Boxer

1) - I get the basics with convert to clones... but what does convert to global clones do, exactly? Same thing but across all the worlds in your game? Or just all the scenes in a world?

2) - Is there at present any way to UNCLONE a thing? I've got a zillion crates in one world, so I cloned it. Only to realize I had been using invisible crates all over the place where I wanted an invisible wall. Any changes I make to their opacity is set back to the clone settings upon running... so it'd save a pile of time if I could select these objects and tell them to stop being clones, so I could make them invisible again! (otherwise I just have to re-make them all.)

Thanks a bunch for any help!

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

this might be a lesson in saving iterations of your game...

I use foreversave... works great... saves a different version every minute for me... which is probably overkill... but you can set it to 5 or 10 minutes... whatever's reasonable...

or just every hour or whatever, save a new version with the hour in the name... this is what I used to do...

3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Correct, Global Clone clones objects across scenes and world... Normal Clones only converts objects to clones in a single scene, so if you have 100 scenes in one world, then you have to do that clone conversion on all 100 scenes... And you can imagine the figures if you have 10 object types on each scenes to convert and you have just 10 worlds like that... Good luck with that :)

No Unclone... This should be the last thing you do as an optimization as you should do that in a copy of your BBDOC file, not on the development one. As @heathclose mentioned the best practice is if you keep version of your BBDOC file over the development cycle, so you can go back and forth if you accidentally did something wrong. Do not rely on Undo, that only works temporarily and only for certain functions -- not for cloning...

4. Nanotaku

Nanotaku Boxer

Question 3), before I go cloning things again!

OK so I've noticed cloning DOES overwrite opacity, but not scale or stretch (so you can have variously shaped clones, but they all (currently anyway) get set to 1 opacity (or maybe whatever opacity the original is set at).

My question is, does clone affect rotation? I've got a buncha hundred little shrubbery decorations, rotated all willy-nilly to look nice. Will that be safe to clone?

5. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

First of all you posted your question to the wrong category, your question is more a "How To" question than a Technical one.

Secondly try to make your question super clear so everyone understands the question.

Third I have no idea how to achieve what you want, so I did not answer, and maybe others are like that too. If that is not possible you need to do something different.

7. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

trudnai lol Thanku Sir for Reply,i Will Do this question In How To section.

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Quick question:

When I select an object in the first scene and clone it globally over 100 scenes. The "root" object contains all important information. What happens with the delete threshold? Does BB now need to keep the first scene and everything in-between in the memory to keep the "root" information available?

And does cloning have an impact on the start loading time of the game?

9. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Works the same as always, no need to adjust based on cloning or not.
    No, this would defeat the purpose.
    Yes, it reduces the number of objects. Therefore less objects to load.

Christoph likes this.
  10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

That sounds fantastic. Will give it a try today. :D

11. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Just a warning, I'm sure Sean told you already.... make a backup. Cloning is not reversible.