Reach Score X + Dead On Score X = Move To Other Game Over Screen

Discussion in 'Level Design' started by krakcz, Aug 17, 2016.

1. krakcz

krakcz Boxer

Hello, I making some parody on Flappy Bird, and I want to do: When player reach 9 points and dies on this score, will be teleport to other world (other game over screen)
    based from the AND gate. (must be: score X and dead at once= move you to anyother )
    Thaks for answer :)

2. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Use an event observer that triggers going to a secret world.

The hard part is the death prior to reaching 10. I believe you're saying Past 9 but dead before 10. There is not currently a way to check if a score/point/distance is less than a number, to my knowledge.

Post the solution if you figure something out. Post a feature request for the less than thing. I can see a lot of use for it.

3. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Thought on this a little more... it can be done fairly easily.

Use 1 event observer to load a new UI when user reaches level 9 (user never sees the change), then load a copy of the original UI when the user gets to level 10. You can route the game over event observer to where ever you want.

level-9-hidden-world.PNG

covmon likes this.
  4. krakcz

krakcz Boxer

thaks :) I did it :) but I thought there is something anyother (easyer) :)

5. Nanotaku

Nanotaku Boxer

GTE, yep... same thing here after realizing event observers are greater-than-or-equal-to.

You have to chain 'em if you want a different end-level UI based on score.

I've got a bunch for 3 unique collectibles per level:

chain.jpg

GTE Games likes this.
  6. Nanotaku

Nanotaku Boxer

A simple "IF-THEN" event observer object would do wonders for this engine.

Thing to check -- (less than, greater than, equal to) -- thing that happens.

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I agree. A IF-THEN event observer would be ideal.

There is also a bug (I just reported this to support) if you have two event observer at the same time observing the same thing the game literally crashes (in BB Preview and on device). For example the first observes 10 total distance points and the second 20 and you already have over 20 total distances points then it should go straight to the third World UI and start from there. Instead it crashes.

Event observer are incredibly awesome and one of the best additions to Buildbox 2. But they still can grow to make it super awesome bombastic tremendous.

8. Nanotaku

Nanotaku Boxer

Yeah all of my fighting with this started by trying to have all the event observers in one scene to direct the player to the correct end-screen. That never crashed on me, but score 0 always evaluated to true no matter what the score was, so it wasn't functional. I've not seen any crashes with this one event observer-per-scene chaining, though.