Why Are You Only Publishing On App Store?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by sairos, Aug 29, 2016.

1. sairos

sairos Boxer

Hi all! since my first visit in this forum i have a question.
    I see tons of games published just for ios.
    Why don't you publish for android too? there is a specific reason?
    Publish game for android is cheaper than ios.

thank you

2. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Most people have much greater success with the iTunes App Store than Google Play. Of course there are many factors that can affect this but that is what I have seen in my experience and with talking to and observing others.

3. sairos

sairos Boxer

thank you for your answer but why don't publish the app in the play store too? there aro no disadvantages.

4. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Ok, here are some possible reasons for that:
    • It is more likely that your app is featured by Apple if you only list it on AppStore
    • It is more likely that your app will be pirated when you realise it for Android
      • More likely that your app will be "stolen" and cloned by opportunists (only replacing asstets to look different)
      • More likely pirates replace ADs IDs and relist your game to get monetizing for themselves
    • You make less money
      • More likely ads will be blocked
      • Less likely Android users will do IAP purchases
    • More device you have to support
      • Variation of Android devices are great, some devices are fast, some others are not so - people will leave bad comments on forums and social media if they feel your app is not running smooth enough on their slow devices
      • Screen sizes are also vary, you have to make sure it looks good on more variations of screens
    These things came into my mind, some people has different views on this or even experience, so you should take more input on this, plus build your own understanding based on practise

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  5. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

Hi trudnai,
    • More likely pirates replace ADs IDs and re-lost your game to get monetizing for themselves
    • More likely ads will be blocked.
    Could you explain them?

6. sairos

sairos Boxer

now I have understand, thank you. I saw a strange thing playing color switch. We all know that color switch has been made with build box and it allow to export file both for ios and android. In the start screen of color switch there is the logo of eyeboxgames. eyeboxgames is a service that can convert from an ios project to android project or an android project to ios project.

Why he used that service?

7. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

Only first two versions of Color Switch made with Buildbox.
    It is just a service of EyeBox Games. I think they create games too.

8. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

"Re-lost" should be "relist", sorry about that (fixed it)

So obviously pirates can just get the apk you have made and hack it, change the advertisement so when they relist your hacked game all ads will serve theirs and not yours so they gain money by displaying them

Ads will be blocked: It is more about the player perspective, when the goal is to play your game as they were purchasing the ad-free option -- except that they do not purchase, they just either modify the apk to not to show ads or have a 3rd party ad blocking stuff

Hope it makes sense?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    anthony_williamson and Nihat like this.
  9. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

Yes, now it is clear for me. Thanks!

10. anthony_williamson

anthony_williamson Boxer

I really appreciate this thread. I was not aware how bad the app piracy issue is on Google Play. Both APK and IPA files are merely ZIP files with alternate extensions. So you can change both to .zip and unpack and modify them as you see fit. But apparently Apple does a better job at keeping pirated versions out of the app store. Here is some additional info I found on the subject: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2016/02/03/android-piracy-vs-apple-app-store/

If anyone has more info on this, I would be interested in reading it.

Deliverbo and trudnai like this.
  11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Btw jailbroken iPhones has similar reputation as Android, and again you cannot expect too much income from that segment. One of the way to fight against piracy is to use On-Deamand Resources on AppStore, so pirates cannot just steal your single IPA file, it won't work and won't contain everything needed for the game play. I guess that can be tracked too but at least it makes hackers life a little bit harder ;)

12. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

funny thing that even if those hakers steals your game , they always end by getting their apple developer account or google play terminated , because they are greedy and finaly lose everything

Deliverbo likes this.
  13. Deliverbo

Deliverbo Avid Boxer

good answer :)

14. Deliverbo

Deliverbo Avid Boxer

To get the apk they would have to get our password to the play store developer console?

15. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

No, just downloading the game as normal from Google PlayStore and a hacker can get the APK out of the device using a USB cable... That is one of the biggest concern to be honest

16. Deliverbo

Deliverbo Avid Boxer

And there is no known way to prevent this?

17. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Nope. You can obfuscate APK to make life harder of bad guys when they download it but that is not a real blocker for the hard core hackers... To be honest this is not much different on iPhone either except it is much difficult to relist that hacked app on official store.

Real solution will be when games will be hosted and sound and graphics streamed only, and you never can touch the code on any of your devices... Give 10 more years to have fast enough internet for that in every household ;)

ramiucef and Deliverbo like this.
  18. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

Also guys , if you had success with one of your game , let say for exemple : color switch , you wont even care if someone take assets and graphic of your gameplay or clone it ,because you are already no1 , and most people will be searching and downloading your game , the original title , and i'm sure lot of you when they want the donwload a game , they look for the first game launched on appstore ,

don't forget google and apple ranking system will always make your game the first in search result ( if you have a big hit , again like color switch )

well , i would like someday to see 20 or 50 clones of my game , because that's only mean that i did it and made a great game :D

19. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

What about this. You will not mind if they will steal your money?

20. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

I also would like to know how big publishers deal with this problem?