My First Mobile Game In Alpha On Google Play.

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by jerry, Aug 24, 2016.

1. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Nano Drug Delivery Challenge is a game that I've created based on a fellowship I was working on in association with at the Institute of Nano and Micromanufacturing. Feedback would be great.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blacklizard.nano

I haven't monetized the game or put in ads. It's purely free to play. Any comments would be greatly helpful. Going to look at putting up on Apple Store as well. This is just my first experience creating a mobile game.

Definitely way more goes into getting this thing on the store than I thought. Now to start looking at Apple.

Thanks,

jerry

roy and Christoph like this.
  2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, I liked your game.

All I've seen bad:
    APK size.
    You can reduce the size of APK lowering the quality of music at 44.1KHz and 128Kb or 96Kb.
    You have many Atlasses, with repeated images, backgrounds and icons.
    You can delete predefined as PAUSE, GAME OVER, GRAY predefined and background images.
    Checking all this, you can have the APK in 15Mb or less.

As I said earlier, the game I love, but you need to optimize it a bit.

Luck.

jerry likes this.
  3. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Thanks jcalle!!! Will definitely do all of that. Didn't think about reducing music or cleaning atlases. Just excited to get something up for people to look at.

4. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Ok, just started to reduce all the extras. Just found the Convert to Clones/Global Clones. My stuff is all repetitive and bet this makes a HUGE difference. I took audio size from 128k down to 56k. APK went from 29.9mb down to 14.5mb WOW!!!!!!

5. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Final APK down to 13.79mb.

6. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

There is still more to optimize ...

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

14MB is not bad at all. I don't think there is a difference if your game is 10 or 15MB for the end-user. Everything under 20 MB is pretty cool.

@jerry: Use the Convert To Clones feature very carefully. Once you apply it to a certain object in a scene, each object with the same values for velocity, scale, etc will be a clone of the first one and won't be editable anymore. If you use this feature it is recommended to use it with a copy of your bbdoc that contains the final export version. For the next update you can then use the other original bbdoc and still change values.

jerry likes this.
  8. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Thanks for the heads up Christoph. I actually did make a copy first. Was scared to screw my game up! It all worked.

9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

There are options to remove unused sounds and images, also you can Optimize the Atlas which may or may not help to reduce size...

10. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Yep did all of the remove unused stuff. I just found the atlases and have a ton of junk in there. I've looked in this thread where jcalle shows a video of removing background and then optimizing the atlas but I don't have that "optimize" button in the atlas menu screen on my Mac version. I mainly have been using BB 2.2.2 but also have BB 2.2.3 and it isn't in either of the builds.

https://www.buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/delete-backgrounds-from-atlas.5657/#post-29613

11. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Ok, re-watched the video and found it. Still some stuff in there that it won't let me delete that says is being used but not sure where. completely old and not used graphics. Glad I've got all of you guys to help. Still a noob but am getting there.

12. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

So I was able to clean up the atlasses a little and got the file down to 12.7mb. Huge progress and learning all the steps as I go.

13. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

Optimization is always great...however I myself do not tend to be swayed by file size as a user...lag is...although I only use iOS devices...if gameplay is smooth it would not be an issue to me...as long as it's under 100mb and can download without having to be wifi connected all apps are a go for me.

jerry likes this.
  14. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

A 100MB Buildbox game will get you lag or a memory issue for sure. :D

INKY and Ishamahes like this.
  15. jignesh11192

jignesh11192 Boxer

Looking Good!
    Best of Luck.

16. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

An observation. If you were so inclined. IF you placed Ads you could, if you wish, use any revenue for charity. Just a thought. Great concept though. Congrats.

17. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Not a bad idea. I might try that. Working on trying to go through the iOS setup. Can't seem to get the darn app to validate in xCode. It keeps giving me an error - verify bundle id. I've looked at the forums and see strings there but no real answers that have helped.

18. roy

roy Boxer

Is that the exact error message? What step do you get to?

What does your Bundle ID say for Apple iOS App Store?

19. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Hey Roy. I have it figured out. It was a naming error. Took me a while to figure it out. I now have my game ready for beta on iOS. Exciting stuff. Now just need beta testers. :) If anyone wants to check it on iOS, then hit me up at blacklizardint@gmail.com. I'll add to my TestFlight list.

roy likes this.
  20. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Dragonlings is like 181mb

edit: 190 on my device