Can I make a button appear in the gameplay at pixel 10000 for example?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by amazingafternoon, Jan 11, 2016.

1. amazingafternoon

amazingafternoon Boxer

Hi,
    So I know that we can make a button disappear but is there anyway to make a button appear at a certain point in the game in terms of distance?

Thanks a bunch! :)

2. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

What do you mean by button exactly? A button control added to the game field menu? No

An object added to the level design, yes (sort of depends).

Maybe a little more info.

3. amazingafternoon

amazingafternoon Boxer

Hi GTE Games,

Thank you for your answer. I would like to have a yes or no interaction at some point in the game. It can be an object but then it's not clickable so I thought of a button. I was playing with the visibility threshold because Trey mentioned it in one of the videos but I still haven't managed it.

4. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Until they offer interaction with objects, or a special feature for buttons, I don't see it possible at this point.

For objects, you could set scale to 0,0. Have the object move slowly into a transform object that changes the scale to 1,1.

That would make it look to the user like it just appeared on the screen. You would have to get the timing just right. Alas, you would still not be able to interact with it. Unless you had an invisible button that was there all along and the user just didn't know about, but I doubt that would work out well :)

FYI, I asked if object interaction (via touch) would be possible in 2.0 and was told it would not be included yet. :(

5. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

Could you build the yes/no button and have them not active until you hit a hidden checkpoint at 10000 pixels and that loads the power up? So the yes/no is already in the GUI just not active until the hidden checkpoint.

Just my thought on a work around.

6. amazingafternoon

amazingafternoon Boxer

Thanks GTE Games and bentforktech I will try your suggestions and see how it looks. But I am sorry that in both options the object action is not clickable :( I was really looking forward to object interaction via touch. It's a pity that BB2 still doesn't have it :(

7. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

Perhaps you could have a separate UI menu with the yes/no buttons that gets activated at a certain point by a menu jump logic piece? That way instead of switching to a different game field you would have your UI switched out with one that already has the yes/no button interaction, and this method could also pause the current world while the new UI is active. Sorry if this doesn't work, I'm very new to Buildbox! :)

8. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

If game speed is constant you might can do something with menu animation. So in the animation your button will be outside if screen at the beginning, and then at the right time if will be on screen.

If game speed is not constant you might need to duplicate world and on the first add a menu jump at 1000px so it goes to second world where you have that button...

K9 Gamer likes this.
  9. carlosabreu1981

carlosabreu1981 Boxer

exactly, thats how i'm doing it in a game, i wonder how people complain about bb2 rather to
    look for ways to solve problems, without have to write code at all, just thinking and trying,
    i think, and think and think, buildbox 2 is the most revolutionary software in any software market.
    Game Development is not anymore exclusive for software developers, thanks to Buildbox.
    @trudnai genius.