Collider To Activate Objects On Other Side Of Scene

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by anthony_williamson, Aug 17, 2016.

1. anthony_williamson

anthony_williamson Boxer

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to activate a couple of sleeping objects on the right (wheels) by colliding with another object on the left (gem). The wheel and gem objects are on opposite sides of the scene. The player is between them, and needs to move to the left and collide with the gem to activate the wheels, which is why "wake on distance" will not work in this case.

Ideally we would have a collider transform piece that can wake a chosen object when the player collides with it, or an action. But these features may not even be on the roadmap. Can anyone think of a way to achieve what I'm after? I've included a mockup scene below:

http://www.webmagi.com/media/uploads/buildbox/Activate-Collider.bbdoc

2. roy

roy Boxer

Hmm...what's the reason the (currently disabled) transform you got doesn't do the job? Is that a feature or bug?

3. anthony_williamson

anthony_williamson Boxer

The Transform logic piece only works if it collides with the object configured as the "Affected asset", right? It doesn't work when the player collides with it. It's only in the BBDOC because I didn't delete it after testing it. Same goes with the Action.

4. Collin Wade Thiessen

Collin Wade Thiessen Avid Boxer

anthony_williamson likes this.
  5. Collin Wade Thiessen

Collin Wade Thiessen Avid Boxer

You could also do it with adding a Advance Move Component to the gem object but it would take some tweaking.

6. anthony_williamson

anthony_williamson Boxer

That's a pretty neat trick. I need to activate the actual objects though, rather than an action animation running over top of the actual objects. But I like your idea. I'm sure I can find a use for it elsewhere. :)

It seems like the Advance Move Component would also depend on an animation to mimic the functionality I need. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Collin Wade Thiessen likes this.
  7. roy

roy Boxer

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    shesh and Collin Wade Thiessen like this.
  8. shesh

shesh Avid Boxer

that's a neat hack.

9. shesh

shesh Avid Boxer

BTW, tho' this hack works, been looking for something similar: grab a key - gate opens. using this method every gate need 3 transforms, 2 portals, 1 enemy & 1 object - for each gate created. is there any easier way to trigger a gate?