For Anyone New to Build Box

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by hawktroopdoc, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

So I started making games back in 2013. First I hired a programmer but early 2014 I found GameSalad. It's a drag and drop game builder but it took me a few weeks to kind of learn. I used it all the way up to this year for making my games. I never got great at it even though I spent countless hours building. Game development time was always long large part due to how slow the software would implement commands. And it was like coding as you would have to create logic stacks and this could be quite complext depending on the game you were making. Well I finally got fed up with GS and took another look at Build Box. Trust me I was put off by the price for a long while. Who would try to sell a game builder for such an outlandish price I thought. Well when I decided to just focus on simple games I could make quickly I knew GS was not the way to go. I bought Build Box back in March or May and I couldn't be happier. I want to say that dev time is 90% FASTER for me and 100% less frustrating. There is absolutely no game builder you can compare Build Box to. Including Game Salad in a simplified way, they all require coding skills and will take much longer to build games. The faster dev time alone was well worth the price of admission for BB. The frustration relief was just a bonus. At first I thought it would be too hard to create new games with it since most types had already been made but there really is endless possibilities with the games you can create. BB forces you to be creative. In any art or situation, when we are given limits it forces us to get creative. I have a few games I'm waiting on to be published so that I can back what I say but I have many more concepts I've generated that I know are A+. So if anyone is on the fence still, just take it from a convert that I am not only happy with my decision to change over to this community but I wish I had done so long ago when it launched last year. You will find the community here rocks. There are a lot of great people who have helped me along the way here including Simon Crack, Colin Wade Thiessen, Aaron Feliciano, Florian, and many others including Trey and his team. If you have any questions please ask and I'l also be glad to help. If you found BB you're very lucky because this is a movement that is growing rapidly and you can be a part of it before it explodes.

kpportier, Simon Crack, Jamie and 7 others like this.
  2. Machine Rises

Just changed my name to "Machine Rises" This is my Xbox handle :)

3. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Good stuff. Great having ya in the community!

Machine Rises likes this.
  4. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

No regrets getting Buildbox despite the price coming from an Asian's point of view financially... Definitely worth it as it is not just a game software but rather a game maker community that Trey & the whole team is trying to create here... We've been running forwards since having Buildbox..

What can we say? BUILDBOX ROCKS!!! :)

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  5. Florian Porkert

Florian Porkert Boxer

Yes, Buildbox is a really great piece of software :)
    Next to Buildbox I currently have 2 other teams working on Unity games. But it is that much more work and cost intensive. With Unity it usually takes 2 months just to have a solid base for the game. After these 2 months we can start with level creation. With Buildbox it is that much easier. I will definitely concentrate on Buildbox in the future.

Machine Rises and Sean Buildbox like this.
  6. Machine Rises

Thanks @seanjonathanconnor :)

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  7. Dip1808

Dip1808 Boxer

8. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

I felt like also making a comment here since its my first time today and it was by luck I came to this site through a game template on Chupamobile. As @Machine Rises had said, I too started with Stencyl, paid the license, spent days and night trying to develop a game but never got around it, so left it for GameSalad and allowed the license to run out on its own. Tried GS, paid the license fee but still never got to make the desired game I wanted because of one major problem, it was not universal as the dimensions on iphone was allover the place. So same thing, allowed License to run out. Then finally tried Corona SDK and did manage to release games with it but not games from scratch but rather templates I bought as it was easier for me to understand the codes and add new features.

I just need to create one from scratch with my own game idea and hoping this tool would help me get there :)

Sean Buildbox and David D like this.