Game File Size

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by calvacharles, Aug 6, 2016.

1. calvacharles

calvacharles Boxer

Hey all!

I am currently looking at the Apple guidelines for uploading an app, so far what I understand is that files should not exceed 50MB. However, once exporting my game from BB the library itself is over 66MB and my game's entire file is slightly over 126MB. Does this sound about right/wrong, what could I do or have done wrong?

I appreciate the time you guys take to help with this.

Thanks and Best of luck with your projects!

2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

I believe the App size limit for the iTunes store is 4GB with a 100MB limit for cell download meaning that if your game is over 100MB then any user attempting to download the App will be alerted that they can only download via wi-fi.

3. calvacharles

calvacharles Boxer

@AndyG Thanks for the reply, but how could I make sure to stay under the 100MB as creating a game that can only be downloaded with wifi connection creates massive friction for new users and could be a deter downloads.

4. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Make sure your image sizes are appropriate and that your not having to scale them down in BB. Any sound files should be as small as possible also. Absolute max of circa 10 Atlases. You must have big files sizes and/or a LOT of images/sounds to get over 100MB!

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

A Buildbox game should be between 10-40MB big. Check out Slip Away which is graphic heavy and it has 32MB. I think under 20MB is ideal.

6. chadrick williams

chadrick williams Boxer

CHECK TO SEE IF ALL UN USED MUSIC IS REMOVED ALSO

7. calvacharles

calvacharles Boxer

Hey all,

Thanks for the great tips, all the unused music has been removed and remaining audio files have been compressed to the smallest size without compromising quality, also Atlases have been cleaned up. Our game does contain a lot of original art work, the only thing mentioned above which we may have committed is scaling down images for our graphics instead of using the correct size.

How do I know which precise size should I be using, I understand that this depends on my assets size, but where can I look for it within BB 2?

8. calvacharles

calvacharles Boxer

Forgot to mention, we have multiple worlds with multiple background and platform artwork, if I am not wrong we have about 4 worlds with unique art in total, may this be the problem as well?

9. calvacharles

calvacharles Boxer

So my latest Android APK is 56.2MB whilst my iOS latest export is 127MB. Am I making a mistake or missing a step or why is there such a huge discrepancy between the two?

10. calvacharles

calvacharles Boxer