Is There A Development Time Table For The Missing Features?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by K9 Gamer, Aug 3, 2016.

1. K9 Gamer

K9 Gamer Avid Boxer

Build box is great for making games to a point its incredibility limited by what seem to be very basic components are missing.

I`m about 3 weeks into using Build box and keep hitting a brick wall and having to redesign my game.

1. The ability to do Melee attacks the hack for this is really lacking its not good enough to use in a commercial game its pretty pathetic.

2. Enemies to shoot at the character or react to your position and head towards or face you.

3. Health bars for character or enemy they have health already so why no way to display it?

4. Support for a controller after 2 years so no point releasing on steam is there this isn`t working there no support for mouse controlled games either :(

5. ladders

6. Keys and doors

I think to be able to make compelling games we at least need the ability to be able to make game like those that were available for 8 bit consoles but nearly all are still well beyond the capabilities of BBox

Build box is really expensive which means a tiny tiny community because of it it does not appear to have much development going on to justify the price right now its about 3x over priced.

Is there some kind of road map or plan for future developments or are all this things going to be in Build Box 3 behind a paywall?

What happened to the feature in build Box Ultimate collection?

The forums are full of people asking the same questions and being met with silence apart from some really simplistic you tube videos made using builds box 1 there really no guides on how to use the so call advanced moves component actions.

The whole thing feels half baked and abandoned to me.

Jeff Wong likes this.
  2. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

I'll help you out with most of these for the time being. Lets start with number one. What are you looking for?

Christoph likes this.
  3. K9 Gamer

K9 Gamer Avid Boxer

Hi
    Thank you

I have a button set up to do an advanced move which is a melee strike with a sword. The animation works and I put a damage object in it set to collude and kill enemy but nothing happens.

4. brakewind723

@K9 Gamer
    Is the object damage and enemy health the same number?
    Is the object set to destroy enemy and enemy set to destroy character?

K9 Gamer likes this.
  5. K9 Gamer

K9 Gamer Avid Boxer

The object the i put in my Melee Animation is has 100 Damage and 100 Health
    i have the opacity set to .1 so i see it come up in the animation.
    Its set as character bullet
    How ever in Debug mode it has no hit box and on the first use drops a invisible hit box on the floor behind me which kills enemies if tey walk into it.
    When placed in the Animation i have it set to Character Bullet no collide destroy enemy.

6. brakewind723

I will look into this for you buddy ;) @K9 Gamer
    What version of buildbox are you currently using? If it is 2.2.3 I advise reverting back to 2.2.2 or earlier. 2.2.3 has some odd bugs and is not the version I'm currently using.

7. K9 Gamer

K9 Gamer Avid Boxer

Thank you i really appreciate your help.
    I have been using Version 2.2.3

8. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

Better to accept buildbox what is currently offering than waiting for more features that may or may not come, Otherwise you need to use and learn another game engine.

9. K9 Gamer

K9 Gamer Avid Boxer

Well i was under the impression you could make a simple plat-former like Mario its not exactly clear what it is because many of the features that should work actually don`t.

you cant make games like Pac-man, Pong, Donkey Kong, Space invaders, Mario, in 2016 >.<

No point making a shoot em up if nothing can actually aim at you.

I only want to have a sword to kill enemies if Build Box can`t do a sword swing for a price tag of £1200 per year and crashes every 5 mins that`s not ok that`s really sad. The thing is build box could easily do all this stuff if there was some actual desire to do so its not exactly complex.

How can they justify the price tag it gives the impression its a powerful piece of software but it really its not and should probably be free in the current state you have no business charging for something that`s got broken features and no fixed plan to fix them.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  10. Rawnwolf

Rawnwolf Boxer

If it can be done on BB, Brakewind will know how to help! I'd like to know about #2,#3,#5,#6 myself!! :)

I agree with alot of your statements K9 Gamer, but stick with BB it can do alot of different things but requires some abstract thinking to get there. BB is very expensive considering the crashing and updates that cause more bugs. I've lost 2 half-built games (think I'd have learned to make a backup after the first loss) and am still using BB (easier than other software out there). I don't even use the Ultimate collection anymore since there isn't much support for it (I do think they abandoned it, sadly). BB has some great features, but I think that they pitch it (and price it) as much more than it really is capable of doing right now...(having bought BB1 at initial launch when it wouldn't even export to all the platforms they claimed when I bought it)...still paying for BB2 after all this because I haven't found anything faster/easier.

11. petesmith

petesmith Boxer

Part of the skill of using a product like Buildbox is knowing the limitations of the system. Buildbox is very fast and easy to produce games fast, that makes it very very powerful. If powerful to you means full flexibility to do everything you want in the system then there is a cost - you will have to use a more complicated product. Buildbox could add all this flexibility but then it would be too complicated to use.

swnam12 likes this.
  12. K9 Gamer

K9 Gamer Avid Boxer

The question is how big is the development team my guess is one person max.

13. ZikZak

ZikZak Boxer

I don't know about enemies shooting at you, but the other part is pretty basic a noob like me could do it (unless you mean something else). Set 'Linear Velocity' for the enemy character, ex: '-5'. 'Collide', 'Destroy Character', 'Wake Up: Distance Based', 'Wake Up Distance: 400' (or something like that). Of course, the enemy must be facing the character.

14. K9 Gamer

K9 Gamer Avid Boxer

Hi that`s not what i mean for example if you jump over that enemy object it won`t react to the position of the character and turn around and continue to move in the direction towards character it will continue until it hits a path or logic