Updating To Xcode 7.x.x

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Phill Mason, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

I've been happily using Xcode 6.4 for a fair while now with barely any issues, but in order to build onto my iOS9+ devices, I need to upgrade to the latest version of 7.3.1 on the Mac App Store. I can see a wealth of 1 star reviews and assume that it's very buggy, is there a version inbetween 6.4 and 7.3.1 (ie V7.0) that anyone has a link to that is less buggy?

I'm running Yosemite and as ever, I'm reluctant to upgrade anything that's working well, but sounds like I need to make the next step.

@Andy, is Xcode 7.3.1 with Yosemite or above the current favoured setup for smooth exports from BB 2.2.2? Thanks.

2. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I use the latest Xcode and El Capitan on a daily basis. Can't really speak for Yosemite, but I think it's fine.

FWIW, I still miss Mountain Lion. ;-)

Phill Mason likes this.
  3. Phill Mason

4. Phill Mason

Ha, ha - Me too ;)

5. dusan20002

dusan20002 Avid Boxer

Hey @Phill Mason
    We using El Capitan 10.11.5 with Xcode 7.3.1 and never have any issue working on it, even adding some third party stuff inside every time everything was working perfectly.
    Anyhow you can always download more version of Xcode, just after installation put them in separate folders.

We have also download Xcode 8.0 Beta to prepare all of our assets for iOS10 and tvOS10 and never have any issue in working on it.

Hope we could assist.

Phill Mason likes this.
  6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Cool, good to know! I haven't got a chance to do this yet.

7. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

So BB works on iOS 10 now? Anybody can confirm?

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I cannot confirm that and we certainly don't support that for sure.

9. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

Thanks for the quick reply Andy! How long would you estimate it would take after the alpha iOS 10 is released? I'm sure its difficult to answer, how long did it take for iOS 8 or 9?

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

It will likely be working end of October/November... and will be recommended around January. Happened the same with all our software for last 3-4 years. The worst thing you can do is update your production toolchain day one... for any software. There will be issues day one with iOS 10, macOS, and Xcode 8, there always are. If you stick with what works for as long as you can there are no real disadvantages.

trygii and Christoph like this.
  11. Jayson

Jayson Boxer

Phill Mason likes this.
  12. Phill Mason

13. dusan20002

dusan20002 Avid Boxer

We apologize if we make some misunderstanding according Xcode Update and Xcode 8.0 Beta.

Xcode 8.0 Beta is still in Development Phase, and still will be updated before Official Release.
    We using it and sending all data to Xcode Development Team to be improved and fixed for official release.
    For now if you would like to download it https://developer.apple.com/download/, you can use it upload build to iTunes and send to Test Flight but still you will not be able to Publish Game using Xcode 8.0 Beta.

One Caution, always try game on Xcode Simulator, and not on your device as iOS10 and tvOS10 are not still officially released, so you will avoid all headache reversing OS back to your device.

Phill Mason likes this.
  14. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

@Phill Mason I use latest Xcode, MacOS and iOS, no major issues. Couple of times it did crash but it is very very rare occasion and recovery works really great, I have never lost source code or part of it. Minor issues are like syntax highlighting for Swift is not working perfectly plus Refactoring did not work for Swift at all. But BB does not use Swift so you should be just fine.

Btw upgrading the Mac works the best for me compared to Windows and Linux. On Linux i think it over twice, maybe three or four times even before upgrading. That includes minor kernel upgrades too... On Windows i am OK with Patch Tuesdays but from Win 7 to 10? Well... On Mac I have much greater experience so far - that does not mean you should not make backups! :)

Phill Mason likes this.