How To Use Different Character For Different Gameplay?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by nayamamarshe, Jul 9, 2016.

1. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

My game is a 2d platformer.
    I want to add another Gamemode of type Isometric, but Buildbox Won't let me do that!!!!
    I cannot add my character which is isometric because it can't be the first imported character. Any suggestions? I am really fed up with this!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I'm not really following you. I understand you have a 2D platformer and there is some kind of bonus level which is isometric? Then I lost you completely. What do you want to do with the character?

3. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

I have 2 characters, One which is 2d, and one which is somewhat 3d in Isometric View.
    The first world is 2d platformer, I can add the 2d character and play.
    In the other Isometric World, I cannot use Isometric Character because BB won't let me do that, it says you can only import First character in the library. So, I have to use my 2d Character in Isometric world which is not really good.

Imagine a square running in Isometric Game instead of a Cube.

4. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

You could just add a second character and drop a single character unlock on top of a navigation button (block touch unchecked) to activate that new character :rolleyes:

nayamamarshe and Christoph like this.
  5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

OK so first thing first, isometric is still a 2d game. BB does not support 3d just yet. It is only how your brain processes images and think it looks like it has a depth but in reality it does not.

Isometric gamer is about your perspective projection you use in your graphics and that you rotate the 2d coordinate system to match your graphics. So all you need to do is to have a world with such settings and use those ISO characters in that world.

6. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

You didn't get me.
    I was saying that BB can only use the 1st character in the start scene whereas I want to use the second character.

7. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

I can't understand, Can you please attach a BBDOC, please!

8. Jayson

Jayson Boxer

On your bonus/iso world, put an action right in the start where character would be. Put your iso sprite on the action animation and set it to replace player sprite on activate. Set duration to a very large number.

9. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

What's up with these bashy, trashy headlines. And let's please drop the "Buildbox is so limited" sentiment and try to come up with solutions.
    After all that being said, I will give you the general direction to help fix your situation:
    • Try playing around with the single character unlock
    • Master the event listener functions
    • Be creative with the world nodes.

Thanks!

eyal, nayamamarshe and playsgames6666 like this.
  10. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

Looks like it's gonna work. I'll try and let you know.

11. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

Hi!
    I've edited the thread description.

And, can you please guide me how can I do that with event listener and Single Unlock?

Thanks.

12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

The action probably does not work because you can't edit the collision shape and by changing to isometric you most probably need this. brakewind's idea with the hidden character unlock is what you want. This man has some crazy ideas!!! He gave you the solution 8 posts back and you didn't even realize.

For everyone who tries the same:
    In the UI where you have the access button for the isometric world, place a Single Unlock button above the access button. Assign your isometric character to it, set the opacity to 0 and disable Block Touch Through. That's it. Now every time you open this particular world it automatically changes to the isometric character. brakewind is a genius!

Question:
    Is it possible to hide a particular character from the character selector? It probably is not very convenient that the isometric character appears with all others to be selected by the player whenever he wants... That would make it the perfect solution.

rechris2, tanvir8955 and gamenoob like this.
  13. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

Wow! now I get it! Thanks for explaining!

Christoph likes this.
  14. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

Geniuses we have in here.

nayamamarshe and JustWatchApps like this.
  15. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Hi all
    I've tried using this to unlock a character for 1 game level only - which worked. BUT. Upon testing, if you pause or die and then return to the game menu, you can then use this character as default. Is there a way to keep it locked to a single level only?

**UPDATE**
    Figured out a work around -which isn't ideal but can get confusing. Thankfully each world has its only UI, so I am able to use the method but in reverse to unlock the main character again. Phew!

16. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

@spicedbeangames I am having the same issue - I need to swtich between characters on a regular basis / I don't totally get how you did it though, what do you mean by using the method in reverse? once you unlock a character is there a way to lock it again?
    Thanks!

17. spicedbeangames

Yes. You must have a game unlock that reverts to your main character. Place this over any Game over button/next stage buttons that return a player to any menus. Thats what I did for my Trump game.

I did actually make a video last week but havent had the time to edit/upload it.

18. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

@spicedbeangames thanks for your reply! but what do you mean by a game unlock? I have as unlock feature the following:
    LOGIC TAB: "Unlock"
    CHARACTER TAB: "Multiple unlock" and "Single Unlock" (this last one is the one I used to swtich originally between characters,

I have tried placing each of those as an invisible button over my MAIN MENU botton, in order to revert to the original character but it is not working,
    I keep getting the characters in the wrong order after their first use,

Sorry for asking again!

19. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

anyone?

20. spicedbeangames

I will see if I can get that video sorted. Or some screenshots from the video which will be easier. Make sure you are using the CHARACTER unlock buttons.