Windows Or Mac For Developing Buildbox 2 Games?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by anthony_williamson, Jun 30, 2016.

1. anthony_williamson

anthony_williamson Boxer

For BB1, it seemed like more care was given to the Mac builds than Windows. Or perhaps BB1 was developed on a Mac for a Mac audience, and then ported over to Windows after the fact. Either way, Mac builds seemed more stable, or at least, games built on Macs seemed less buggy.

Is this still the case with BB2? Has anyone developed a whole game from scratch on Windows 10 with BB2? Or is it the recommendation of the BB2 boxers here (and staff) that I use a Mac?

Thanks

2. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

Mac +1

3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Honestly, Buildbox was originally developed by mostly Mac users, so there has been some bias just on that fact. But we really want to have a great product on Windows and we feel they are very comparable now. Our 2 main programmers for the last 6 months are both Windows users. :)

4. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

It is not only because of BuildBox but Macs are so much better than any PC hardware and MacOS is superior to the Windows. Windows is only if you want to play PC games or you wanna save some bucks and trading quality to that or you really really cannot find one particular software for the Mac (usually a specific app that was mad for a niche market). For for this latter one you can just use Virtualbox or VMware or Parallels or BootCamp...

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Let the wars begin! ;-)

trudnai likes this.
  6. telerebor

telerebor Avid Boxer

I beg to differ, at least when it comes to running high end Engineering software. There is a reason why most engineering companies use PCs instead of Macs. I guess if you are just using it for personal use and want a shinier interface then MacOS would work better ;)

7. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Yah he really fired one across the bow didn't he?!?!

trudnai likes this.
  8. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Time spent developing in Buildbox on a Mac = 100%
    Time spent developing in Buildbox on a PC = 10% > the other 90% is spent trying to fix Windows :p

Collin Wade Thiessen and trudnai like this.
  9. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

Basic rule of thumb -

Anything that involves creative production use a Mac

Hardcore Gaming or Enterprise and especially custom business applications are for Windows

telerebor likes this.
  10. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

All right all right, I bury my hatchet (right after I dig it out :) )

11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

For me it is Mac all the way but I know a lot of creative people who use PCs. Macs are normally inferior to PC hardware (and at the same time a lot more expensive), but the Mac OS is just light years ahead of Windows. As said by others, on a Mac you normally can concentrate much more on your work than trying to fix things. The design is also much nicer IMHO. Being said that, Mac is getting worse with each year and it seems we are getting closer to what Windows was back in the 90s. Apple cares much more about iPhones than it does now about computers. And it seems they even care less about us creative professionals. The Mac Pro for example is a big joke!

12. anthony_williamson

anthony_williamson Boxer

;-)

I'm a hardcore computer enthusiast, having built my own boxes for 10 years before ever buying one straight out. I love Macs (I have 3 of them), but hate that it's a closed system. I am also a creative professional with 18 years experience as a graphics/web designer/developer. Before I transitioned into my own business full time, I used to install and troubleshoot high speed Internet for the local cable company. During that time, I sat down in front of more than 1,000 computers. The most reliable, best performing computers were always the Dells. So when it came time to purchase a powerhouse workstation, I went with the Precision brand - at just under $6,000. That was in late 2008. I'm still using that same PC as my primary design machine, running Windows 10, with all the Adobe CC apps, and dozens more, including Buildbox 2.

I have a Mac opposite the PC, running OS X 10.11.5, but it's nowhere near the speed and power. I could easily build the game on it, but I'd rather use the PC. Is anyone developing successful Buildbox 2 games on the PC?

13. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Right, however, things have changed radically in the last couple of years: I am no longer using PCs to render high definition images or videos on my own hardware. What I have found the best is to start the rendering process on an AWS cloud, and by the time I arrive from LA to San Diego the rendering is done -- and I still have 99% battery left as the lid was closed in the meanwhile :) No maintenance, electricity or other running costs, always using latest hardware (unless choose to use lower end hardware for cost effectiveness), and only pay for use. You need 1 server, here you are... Or you need 1000 instead with high-end GPUs to render 1 hour 4K video, no problem... With your own hardware you cannot scale up and down as you go...

What I need though from my computers is to edit stuff whenever that is a graphics, video or game in either BuildBox or other game engines. And for editing do not need a sheer power but a very reliable platform where I open the lid, work with the project and then close it -- instead of spending time solving issues with the operating system or the hardware. I had Dells in the past. It works, but nothing to compare to a Mac, where in 5 years I only had to touch the laptop once when replaced the hard disk to an SSD. That includes the battery which Dell could just not make comparable to the MacBook Pro. Not as how long you can you run with a single charge, nor how long that battery lasts. On Dell after a year or so had to replace battery, had faulty keyboard and the laptop was twice as heavy and bulky compared to MacBook Pro.

Anyways, I did not want to start war here, just wanted to share my experience, and I am really happy moving away from Windows (and Linux too!) and no way I am going back -- only if forced to do so.

14. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

As a former "big iron" UNIX professional I now enjoy Macs for the ease of use and familiar UNIX like shell. Most of the time I don't mind the restrictions. I'll take Linux for a server anytime, Mac on the desktop and my second half keeps a Windows laptop exclusively for using Corel Draw.

15. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Looking forward to the port of BB for the Atari ST ;)

16. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

Feels like the youtube comments... Just use whatever your comfortable with :p

17. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Are you kidding?!?! Mac or death! :mad:

18. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

Some of us are OS-dextrous! I run BBv1 on MacBook Air when mobile and Windows 10 on desktop. I like working on Mac because I actually get work done! When I'm on the PC I always see to be PLAYING games instead of BUILDING them! lol

brakewind723 likes this.
  19. anthony_williamson

anthony_williamson Boxer

Yeah, I don't do a lot of rendering these days. Mostly just small Premiere Pro & After Effects projects that only take 10 or 15 minutes to render on the workstation. No 4k vids, no "spending time solving issues with the operating system or the hardware", just supreme powerhouse bliss.

And I have a 2005 Precision Laptop that still runs like a top today. Never needed servicing once, other than a battery replacement.

Listen, I'm not the PC guy, I'm a computer enthusiast. I love computers, old, new, Mac, Win, Linux. I'm not a fanboy of either, and I don't knock other people's choices. Of the 14 or so that I have, the most powerful computer in my office is the Precision desktop, so that's what I use. If Buildbox has never produced a successful game developed on a Windows machine, that is information I would love to know.

20. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer