Appstore surprises

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by robin_gronvold, Jun 23, 2016.

1. robin_gronvold

robin_gronvold Boxer

So made this game prism last year which I thought was great with bb. However I didn't have any downloads. Suddenly a week ago people start downloading it in Russia. Its now nr 3 in games in Russia and nr 15 overall on free games.

What it look like has happened is that a photo app also called Prism is number one in paid app category. And when people search for Prism, they get my game in the same search as the photo app......and kaboom...it goes up to top of charts.

Anyone else experience something like this?

trudnai likes this.
  2. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Interesting experience. Do you have analytics on it? Do you have good retention rate as well or people just download that by mistake and then delete it?

3. robin_gronvold

robin_gronvold Boxer

@trudnai I have 26% retention after third day. Its not that bad. I am not sure about the theory of the photo app with the same name is the cause, or if its something else. Still pretty happy :)

eyal, jerry and trudnai like this.
  4. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

INKY likes this.
  5. dmmcmah

dmmcmah Avid Boxer

Yes that happened to me on an app that happened to have a name which appeared in trending searches. Nice but of course such things are unpredictable.

6. dmmcmah

dmmcmah Avid Boxer

Did you try going to search and typing in name of photo app? What happened with mine is when I searched for the app that had a similar name to mine, my app appeared right below it. So I was able to be a parasite on the downloads of people searching for the first app getting a thousand downloads a day. Unfortunately that app didn't have much sticking power so it didn't last long.