How to make music?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by nayamamarshe, Jun 18, 2016.

1. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

Hi, Super easy question.
    How do you guys make music for your games, I mean by yourself only. I've seen some games which have music made by some other guy but I wanna make music myself.
    I use FL Studio and its pretty hard to find synths.
    Suggestion Box Open...

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

super easy?
    That's a deep question that involves learning sound design, music theory, music software, mixing techniques, and mastering techniques.... also if you use anything you need to actually record, recording techniques fall in there somewhere.

maybe I'm misunderstanding the question....

3. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

Well, I was just asking what you guys use to make music.
    I really have an understanding of music and specially genres like Trap, EDM.
    I said I use FL Studio, What you guys use maybe different, Like LogicPro or Abelton.

4. Depuuty

Depuuty Avid Boxer

Heath is right on that one.
    But if you want to just make sounds..
    Download an app on your phone called Medly

5. heathclose

ahhhh... well, I have never have had a stable pro tools environment... like... ever... while some might argue it is the "industry standard", I would argue otherwise because although the editing tools and layout are top notch, it crashes and stops all the time on any system I have ever used...ever...even a mac right out of the box, so I don't know how that can be considered the standard unless crashes help, crashes are why I moved from pc to mac long time ago... when it's time to work it's time to work... I don't deal with crashes...

So I use logic mostly... it's always been solid for me... my main talent lies in editing audio, sound design, and mixing and mastering, but anything that involves music theory I open up Ableton Live because it has a lot "helpers" like the scale plugin and chord plugin, etc... music theory is not my strong suit, never has been, but for sound design, I know enough...

I used to be a heavy reason user, that is by far the most rock solid daw money can buy... period... I would use reason and only reason any time I had a live show that involved augmenting live instruments only because I knew it wouldn't crash mid show....

I used to rewire it through logic, but I haven't used that for a while now, although I might go back to it, a lot has changed since I took a break... one week before I got sober I killed my studio by feeding my laptop a beer, so I was without a studio "brain" for about 18 months before I picked up my sword again, but I have slowly been bedazzling it and updating things...

nayamamarshe and Christoph like this.
  6. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

7. heathclose

heh... that buttonbass is kinda neat

8. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

9. Bilz636

Bilz636 Avid Boxer

I normally use DJ players to mix the different sounds from Ringtones library. You can do the same with Buildbox Assets.

10. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

If you are on Mac and would not target studio quality production then maybe you can do some amazing stuff with Garage Band. You can use that as putting pre made loops, or use it as a sequencer, record from you computer keyboard (simulated as a very short piano keyboard) or attach midi or just record audio like as from guitar. And it acts as a multi channel studio tape as well, sort of.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    heathclose likes this.