Well!!!!

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by playsgames6666, May 16, 2016.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

@arsidalijaj yah but theres a billion of games exactly like Diamond Road...i used to play them all the time when first iphone came out. Just run left and right and collect coins etc. So it is a clone.
    If you see a game that is same gameplay as yours, chances are it isnt a clone. If it has gfx that you CREATED, obviously its stolen. However poster said he PAID TO LICENSE some graphics....chances are....others too paid for those GFX lol. You arent the only person who pays to buy GFX packs. So you will see games that have same gfx as yours as GFX seller has multiple sales.

2. Arsmen Studio

Arsmen Studio Avid Boxer

@OneHitGamer yeah i understand. He spent money and he is not the only one her , many other boxers do it.

3. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

The square run being sold on Code Canyon is the exact demo file as I can tell. All he did was change the image of the character. Low !

4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

But then one can also say that the square run sample in BB itself is a clone of Geometry Dash. All BB offers by default is clones.

5. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

If you create a title yourself in BB, its ok to sell the source code. You created it. EVen if you created clones of popular games. Thats ok. But if you got someones bbdoc and exported it as your own.....well you didnt make anything.

trudnai likes this.
  6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Exactly! @TreySmith already mentioned they aware of the problem and will make efforts to secure our intellectual properties.

AppNasty likes this.
  7. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

BB is so easy to learn that theres no reason one cannot be unique. Even if you make a typical Flappy Bird clone....add features to it that take it away from the clone pile. Takes like a few extra moments of your time to do so. Not hard.

8. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

Please explain in details, Have you shared your source or the bbdoc files ? How he reached your source easily ? This really concerning me for project security.

9. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

There is a big difference between cloning and literally taking a file given freely by Buildbox...and then selling it for profit. There is NO gray area in this particular situation concerning the square run being sold. Adding a few levels and inserting a play button doesn't make it a clone...it's modified stolen property. My $.02

10. todro

todro Avid Boxer

That's the problem: it's known for almost 6 months now and nothing happens. @TreySmith Would you like to tell us when this problem is fixed ? And as there are several issues/possible approaches, it would be already helpful if the easiest, the recreation (and reusage) of a bbdoc, is fixed first.

steve likes this.
  11. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

I think i have confusions to understand the full situation here ?

Steeling game is about someone like (ripping off your resources / extract your source code or game files without permission) than he republish it as his own creation.

But cloning your game idea or using similar artworks that he purchased from the same seller that you too did is not a theft.

INKY likes this.
  12. todro

todro Avid Boxer

Actually there are several issues which need to be focused on seperately.

As for the wording, this is how I differentiate:

Clone: I consider a cloned app/game to be cloned if it is identical (close to 100%) because of a "hack"/stealing the code (similar to clone sheep dolly ;))

Copy: A copy of the game idea and special individual features. This copy might be created by reskinning and partially (illegal) usage of original resources

As for the different ways of "copying", I would describe them as follows:
    1. Taking a game idea and reskinning/improving with own artwork, sound etc. (similarity 10-50%): I'm totally fine with that as this is what happens in software/game industry in general (matching Trey's "Model and Improve" approach).

2. Recreating almost the same game (or similar to the original) by stealing and using the original artwork etc. but recreating game logic and making only minor changes like character modifications or just changing the name (similarity maybe around 50-95%): might be based on own work but is not OK, if original resources are used unauthorized

3. Taking the original and recreating a 1:1 clone with the same resources and game logic, e.g. just changing name and ad ids (similarity 95-99%): this is a no-go

>>...he purchased from the same seller that you too did is not a theft.
    Which is only true if it's the seller's IP. In case of the buildbox template games, I'm pretty sure 8cell didn't authorize a seperate sale of the template game which makes the new games created from this source also illegal. The same might apply to other templates if they contain unauthorized artwork, sounds etc.

>>...don't tell me buildbox games can be hacked easily ?
    Sad but true...

Qdeveloper likes this.
  13. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

That's an interesting viewpoint @todro only because when Flappy Bird became a hit....everybody and their brother was "cloning" that game and I personally don't think a single hack was involved. In another creator forum I am/was a part of that was the term..."Oh look another FLAPPY CLONE". No one ever considered them to be hacked code...they just use some of the same logic and put their own twist on it...usually art work...and very cheesy too I might add.

It's weird because I consider a copy to be...the code as in re skinning projects bought/stolen...whatever and nearly place their own art work in. That is what code canyon provides for the most part without buying extended licenses.

I think of it the reverse as you described. Lol

14. todro

todro Avid Boxer

To be honest, I do not really care how it is called ;-) What matter's is the fact that there is the normal (legally correct) way of reskinning/recreating and the illegal way of using partially or complete unauthorized content from the original.

And the most important issue is the fact that it is possible to recreate a usable BBDOC from the distributed game and this has to stop...

Qdeveloper likes this.
  15. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

I a
    gree as you might see in this thread a previous comment I made....I have no issues with re skinners....in fact I have done a few...I also purchase code some times to learn how certain things are done....the Square Run project on CodeCanyon in my opinion...is pure blatant theft. I do hope it and other issues like this do get resolved quickly and with some consequences initially with harsher penalties in the future.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  16. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

This a big serious issue need to be fix asap :/

What do you think @TreySmith @Andy ? Any workaround to increase the published apps protection ?

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  17. mugen_id

mugen_id Boxer

perhaps a bit of advice from me.
    you add the name of your package to the scene.
    This would be difficult for them to steal your game.
    for example like this...
    [​IMG]

playsgames6666 and Qdeveloper like this.
  18. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

That's worst scenario!, I saw one of the featured bb games published as a source in this website as well:
    sellmyapp.com

Though, Not sure if it's by the same creator or if he/she just ripped GAMEANAX game.
    I hope it's the first...

Also, Why the original creators are just silent about this issue if BB team don't seem to care, Why No one just reporting or contacting those websites to prevent this issue at least for his game, So they may be more aware in future about this problem?