Good News! Another BB Game Climb The Chart And One Question Raised

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by mmo822011, May 6, 2016.

1. mmo822011

mmo822011 Boxer

Hi Guys

I guess all of boxers heard that "Running Man Challenge - Game" is climbing the chart and it's another good news to inspire us. In case, you haven't been into the news, here is the link:

https://www.buildbox.com/running-man-challenge-game-climbs-the-charts/

But, I wonder how the game use the popular song without any copyright strike. The song was published in 1996, so i guess it's been 20 years now and the song is in the public domain, right?. 20 years or 50 years to be in public domain ? I don't know. Anyone has some discussion on this ?

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

In general, works published after 1977 will not fall into the public domain until 70 years after the death of author, or, for corporate works, anonymous works, or works for hire, 95 years from the date of publication or 120 years from the date of creation, whichever expires first.

mmo822011 likes this.
  3. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

I downloaded the game, I believe it's an original remix of the song and not identical to the official one, if I'm not mistaken.

mmo822011 likes this.
  4. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Congratulations to the developer and all but the quality of these trend influenced games are becoming worse and worse. It makes it hard for any publisher to take anyone using Buildbox seriously :(

miguelnievas and playsgames6666 like this.
  5. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

i disagree. Its not the software, its the game that matters. :)

6. jigglybean

jigglybean Avid Boxer

Its trending, because the 'Running Man' challenge is spreading across the globe on youtube and has gone viral. A bunch of kids who started the trend off were on Ellen a couple of days ago (just like the Damn Daniel explosion.

As a developer - you have to decide whether to jump on to a trend with a low quality product, or focus on making a proper gaming experience.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    brakewind723 and Qdeveloper like this.
  7. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

The game actually is pretty fun! but need to polish the graphics even more.

8. brakewind723

Just off recent discussion with publishers I've spoken to is what I was basing my views from. I do agree that you can generate quality games with Buildbox. Color Switch is a prime example. However, it seems that most large publishers "I've" spoken to in regular conversation have developed a certain bias against Buildbox. Not trying to discourage anyone from being creative within the boundaries of Buildbox, it just might be harder for upcoming Buildbox developers in the near future to have a successful pitch.

I may be completely wrong though :p

Again, congratulations to the developer! :D

9. brakewind723

@Qdeveloper
    I agree. It reminds me of Jelly Jump in terms of gameplay :)

Qdeveloper likes this.
  10. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

I guess my question is - when you get an app to download in TestFlight - how could you tell what software the developer used? I mean if it looks like everyone else's BB game I can see how they might assume...but again, that's a problem with the game, not the software.

Of course prejudice of all kinds can never be a surprise.

11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Buildbox games are compiled in a special manner which makes them easy to recognize. But I doubt a publisher will look at it and reject a game just because of that. If they like the game and it fits into their strategy they will publish it. The game could even be rewritten if it needs to like they did with Color Switch.

The bad quality in certain hit games is another thing though and just shows how the market behaves with a certain group of people. They mostly appear from nothing and disappear as fast as well. From 100 similar games 1 makes it to the top. I downloaded "Running Man Challenge - Game" because it was announced in the Buildbox blog. I deleted it after 6 attempts. In this short time I was forced to watch two long video ads. I simply can't understand how a game like that gets to the top. But people seem not to care.

Qdeveloper and eyal like this.
  12. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Every game developer's dream is to have their game either featured or in top 100 or less. After studying the market, this is my understanding of how some achieve it:

- Make a good unique game, get a publisher with large customer base to publish
    - Make a good game, advertise game on someone's Facebook with over a million followers
    - Make a low quality rubbish game, search for trending or viral videos and use the viral topic as your game name e.g John goes to school video is going viral, then use that as your game name
    - Make a very good decent game, work into an Apple store and pray to get someone to like your game
    - Make a good game, invite your family friends and even get a toddler from a friend and do a 1 min video of your game. Let it go viral, make some money and share the profit.

The opportunities are endless, JUST THINK OUTSIDE THE buildBOX

Jamie, bharath917 and mmo822011 like this.
  13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

And as I said it went to the top and now it is falling very fast. Already out of the top100.

14. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Hey guys, I talk to all of the major publishers on a consistent basis. None of these guys care how a game is made, they just care that it's high quality and unique.

There is one issue though - and while I don't think it's stopped any good games from being picked up - it's worth noting: Many Buildbox customers have submitted games that are not near good enough to be published. That is definitely something we do not want to do as a community and something we are actively improving in multiple ways like doubling down on piracy protection, not allowing people to export with demos, training customers on creating polished games, etc.

For the new people, it's really pretty simple: Never submit a game to a publisher unless you think it is better than what they are currently publishing. Literally better... not just "as good". We do that with every single game we created and it's been a very good strategy. Make sure to keep the quality up, stay inventive and spend a lot of time polishing your games before submission to publishers.

15. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

THIS IS SOOOOOOOOO TRUE!

As a publisher who owns Buildbox and knows how to code, I realize most Boxers will have no clue how to add analytics or push notifications or other professional tools to the game after they export from Buildbox. However, that's not a problem because we'll add those tools before we publish the game.

As a publisher, I'm getting submissions on a daily basis. My #1 problem with the games made in Buildbox is they suck. Plain and simple. Or worse, they were built with a template that I recognize off of a source code site and they did absolutely nothing to make it unique. They just hit export and submitted it thinking they are going to get a deal. Or finally, they are exact clones of Phases or Color Switch.

As @TreySmith said, ask yourself, "is this game better than anything they have published?" and if the answer is no, don't waste your time submitting. Also ask yourself is this game better than anything @Machine Rises @Kevin W or @Simon Crack have published. I look at these three as the top Buildbox users and they set a high bar when it comes to quality and polish. That is what I look for when it comes to games I consider signing.

16. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

Remember folks, Mobile games are too different market than any other pc or consoles gaming markets, Casual mobile users are always about to have a simple control and fast arcade game than other complex titles, Remember how flappy bird hit the mobile market ? despite other gaming articles field to realize how or why and start bashing it to not deserve the spotlight ? Mobile games is more like evolved from the flash gaming during the last decade, Meant to not stand too long for users or to be taken too seriously.

17. abdussadik

abdussadik Boxer

I don't understand the reason how does Running Man Challenge game go to the top with such a bad quality, even they did't submit 5 screenshots, it has only 2. Absolutely zero graphic design, copied from game assets stores or bought.

18. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

I'm still curious though as to the original question... How is the game using intellectual property... did they sign up with ascap or something to pay royalties per download? Have they received any form of cease and desist? Or get a big bill for royalties?

Qdeveloper and mmo822011 like this.
  19. livelifeindesign

livelifeindesign Boxer

What game play is the best to start something like this off?

20. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

What the intellectual property contents or ip does the game have ? I would like to know beside the claimed song which i believe it's a new music or remixed tunes that not like using the original song directly.