Possible to make "wind" blow character sideways?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by jerry, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Hey all,

I am playing around with a jumping game (so moving up). I was thinking of having a little area where the wind might blow you sideways a little when you are in that zone. Is this possible?

I was trying by adding an action and changing game direction but that didn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. edwin_simonds

edwin_simonds Boxer

Hey Jerry, a little wayward but you could try a spawner, firing see through / opacity 0 objects. Depending on the settings it may move the character sideways.

jerry likes this.
  3. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Ha. Thanks Edwin. Dude that totally worked. It was funny as hell as I had the velocity up too high and it smashed my character to the side of the screen but I turned it way down and with a little more tweaking that will definitely get it done. Thanks again!!

4. edwin_simonds

edwin_simonds Boxer

Ok cool :) Sounds like an awesome effect!

5. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Yah I'd like to see this, do you have a way to take a vid of this?

6. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

I think It is possible with a GamePlay Action, I would like to try and see if it works.

7. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

I have uploaded a video to vimeo. This is the beginning (just worked on it a couple hours - mostly artwork) I just started this so no real animations of the character, etc... More me just playing with some of the things I would like to try. The character is a little sheep named "Cherry". Haven't fully flushed out the story yet but it's a jumping game.

The "wind" is just a spawner "blowing" towards the left. I have a particle effect over it for now just to know where it is located. Everything is visible so you can see.

pw: cherryjump

8. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Very cool, thank you for that. As I was watching I started to imagine making multiple platforms that are much smaller and with angled or circular hit boxes so that they roll of her and not to take cherry so far with every swipe, plus you could stagger them so it doesn't seem so timed

jerry likes this.
  9. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Yep, this is just me throwing a couple things together to start the idea. Plan on having worlds that are based on different sweets. A gummy world, ice-cream world, this one the rocks are chocolate. Will have obstacles, falling objects, etc...

Cool thing about Buildbox is the rapid idea development as opposed to Unity.

Definitely a ton of work needs to be done on this. I'm an artist/designer and not so much a programmer/developer. I have a couple other games I'm working on as well.

10. Blaze

Blaze Boxer

@jerry That is a cool effect. Thanks for sharing. I'm a designer too and BB is certainly easier to get things built and running in no time. Hope things go well for you.

jerry likes this.