My new game dev software [BoxBuilder 1.3]

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by AppNasty, Apr 24, 2016.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Hahahaha just kidding.
    So, how many of you have the Master Collection? Iconbox, Animationbox and Soundbox?'
    How are they? Do they help out tremendously? Worth the purchase?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. lauro_sousa

lauro_sousa Boxer

I have It. I use it a lot. I just think that is a very overpriced and abandomned product. Overpriced because it is too expensive to what it delivers. Abandomned because they released it and make no updates.

3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Same here, although I have stopped using SoundBox as that is crashing a lot and some of the assets were in a different tempo and there is no way you can sync them. The original idea was brilliant but I could not really use it. I use GarageBand these days. That has some flaws as well but generally speaking very polished and it is free too. The only big advantage of SoundBox is that it contains bunch of game and UI related sounds -- GarageBand is only for creating music.

The use of Animation box is also very limited. There is no keyframe based object transformation of any kind. You only have a skeleton with preset movements where you drag and drop images onto -- which is good, but again it is limited. I have not used that once as games these days tend to use simple geometry characters and objects, and not semi-realistc walking zombies and running cats.

IconBox is ok, fun to work with.

ImageBox as far as I concern is only a bunch of images with tags and folder selection. And you can resize and export them. That's it. I mean not even like IconBox where you can adjust Hue, Saturation, Contrast, Brightness etc. No combining images. No UI designer capabilities where, you know, place a background and bunch of images on top of that and see how it looks like when you change Hue or Contrast and resize them until looks good so now you can export them and no big surprises when you import them to BB.

Sorry to say but I have paid way too much for this and expected a much higher quality of software and more functionality, not to mention better integration with the BuildBox framework.

4. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

@trudnai I am optimistic that they will return to the master collection products after they get a handle on BB2! :)

5. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

What's imagebox? Never heard of that one.

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I hope you are right @JustWatchApps!

@OneHitGamer It is part of the MasterCollection, that is really a collection, I would say that is the real meaning of "Master Collection". You can select images and sprite animations from various categories. And you can change very basic stuff like rotate 90 degrees or flip or resize. But pretty much that is it, no more. No merging, combining, preview with a simple tile map editor, no changing Hue or Brightness -- which is existing in other software BB Team makes like in BB itself or IconBox, so it should be an easy update.

Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 8.01.55 PM.png

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

To be honest, I never understood the Master Collection and the hype some people created around it. There are already established products which do the same job. Most of them are much cheaper and much better. It just never made any sense to me. I even thought that the release of it was a huge (marketing) mistake by Trey and his team because it seemed like a rip off which in the long run only takes away credibility from an otherwise great product and company. Additionally, I prefer the Buildbox team to concentrate in one product and make it the best out there. Buildbox all the way. Make it a feature rich tool without any bugs and I'm happy (sorry guys if you bought the MC)

Nick H likes this.
  8. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Oh ok so there's BuildBox, IconBox, SoundBox, AnimationBox and then ImageBox. I suppose they could combine those into BB itself in a future update...make an all-in-one thing instead of separate software. An optional thing that's there if you so chose to use it type of thing.

blufology likes this.
  9. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

uuuuuuuu..... I like your vision

blufology and AppNasty like this.
  10. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Think about it. Would be the ultimate dev software. I think the reason they charged so much is to get that beginning booster to kick start everything. One day they may offer it free....but like, remove ad support or limit what devices you can export etc. Then paid version gives you the extras. Never know. Companies do this alllllll the time. Shoot, they slap ads on the software like we do games, give it away for free...they will make 20 million a year easy lol.

11. todro

todro Avid Boxer

Thanks, you expressed my mind ;-)

trudnai and Nick H like this.