Match 3 games in Build Box ?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by DrWho, Apr 12, 2016.

1. DrWho

DrWho Boxer

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to ask if buildbox will have the ability in the near future to make match 3 type games like Candy Crush or Bejewled of the like?

2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

3. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

We talked about this today. I'm not saying it will not ever happen ( actually the opposite... one day it definitely will happen when we advance logic in Buildbox), but it is not something that we are putting importance on. Mainly because we are seeing a decline in these types of games. If you look at Top Grossing, Candy Crush is now out of the Top 5. All the other Match 3 and bubble games that were doing well are slowly falling as well. I feel this gameplay style has peaked.

What I am more interested in is the Clash of Clans style social games because not only are these games more popular and profitable, they also lead to many improvements that would vastly help Buildbox with different game types (i.e. Inventory, object dragging, advanced object logic). When you add that in, you get a host of other gameplay types for free. For example, now you can create anything from tower defense games to RTS games for steam.

4. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

That would be seriously cool @TreySmith to go in that direction.
    The revenues from those style of games are off the charts. However the complexity is mammoth and I don't envy you and Nik and the rest of the team developing BB to that degree and still, somehow, keeping it simple to use. But I'm all for it and a definite +1 from me.

With regards to Match-3 style games I hear ya. But when a market segment goes quiet a good time to bring out a reinvention and reintroduce a format to those who might have missed it earlier.

5. gurdippy

gurdippy Boxer

Yeah that be great, but Buildbox customers are mostly solo devs. Why dont u do a survey and see if people want to make complex rts games. If u ask me, (considering i am a solo dev) i want easy multilayer integration and more gambling mechanics.

goingnova and Christoph like this.
  6. reegannaidoo

reegannaidoo Boxer

@TreySmith you are on the money my friend! Social gaming is where we plan to grow our business into shortly.
    I believe that people are just tired/bored of the same old match 3 style games., but imagine If we had the tools and are more creative than the sleeping giants, we could recapture and reignite a dying market completely.
    Just a vague idea, but how awesome would it be to create a match3 social game... think about. ;)

7. blufology

blufology Boxer

I would LOVE to have available assets and logic in BB to make a game like these...with a nice focus on Generals Zero Hour style...just starting with basics and providing even more advanced functions in the future.

goingnova likes this.
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I also agree that social is the most important part that is missing. Starting with multi-player (local and online) and options to monetize with sending free gifts or time or what ever to other players. Interactions between gamers that keep them in the game.

goingnova likes this.
  9. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

This is the direction I would love to head. I am having a great time with making the games I can make and am really proud of what I have done and what I am working on currently. (Light years ahead of game 1). Thanks BB and @TreySmith for making it happen and look forward to a long life of game making.

10. DrWho

DrWho Boxer

I also agree with trey about the over saturated market of match 3 games in it's entirety and how it is rapidly declining.. However, being able to have such game style logic elements in buildbox would be extremely helpful in creating newer and different styles of new games to bring to the market. don't have to make another match 3 type game with such elements in buildbox when you could use such elements and craft it into something else completely new and defferent. It's just an idea you know! ;)

eyal likes this.
  11. blufology

blufology Boxer

Well talk about saturation. My game was declined from a publisher because it was built with Buildbox and said that BBhas created a surge of specific types of games into the market and so they won't publish games made by BB. Now I disagree with this but that was their explanation. There are plenty of games made by BB that are top apps so I don't believe this...however I would love to see either more default setups in BB or more functions. I'm saying this without even having my hands on BB2 yet of course :). Looking very forward to it.

Collin Wade Thiessen likes this.
  12. Collin Wade Thiessen

Collin Wade Thiessen Avid Boxer

Love to know what pub said that though :p

13. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

+1

14. Kadri246

Kadri246 Avid Boxer

I think a particular type of gameplay will decline if there's no originality or uniqueness. Bejeweled and many of its clones were on the decline, and continued to decline since candy crush stepped on the scene, match 3 became on top once again. Luxor and Zuma are all match three as well but with a different gameplay. I wouldn't rule out any type of gameplay possibility from BB if I were @TreySmith, because technically, almost every game is up, down, left, right and fire. Presets in BB just showcase the possibilities of the software which is somewhat limited but understandable because it is new. But I would love to see the possibility of match 3, because what I have in mind for a match 3 game, AFAIK is a gameplay type never before developed.
    I think we should have the utensils and use our creativity to bring something tasty.

15. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I think that BB alone could bring back the rise of match 3 games and other types that have died off. You get an army of different takes on those styles, coming from a flood of BB devs.....could shift the market. bet on it. Artificial Intelligence would be sweet...in the future of BB. But some form of simple puzzler style would be the best. Hey @TreySmith is it possible to tell us IF new BB 2.0 will have NEW features? of course not saying what they are, but will it just be big fixes and ui changes.....or does it have NEW things that we can get excited for? lol.

16. blufology

blufology Boxer

I have given some details to the BB staff and hope I didn't take a great deal of the publishers response incredibly out of context when I made my comments here. What was responded to me and my comments were not word for word but I feel were very close to the "jyst" of what was sent to me regarding my being declined to publish my game. Please all keep in mind I didn't even tell them what game/s I had to even offer. It seemed merely throwing the name Buildbox was enough.

For all to see here it is. If I have taken it greatly out of context I apologize.

Hi David,

nice to meet you. Regarding Buildbox games, our requirement is that the game needs to have deeper graphics than just usual buildbox games. Tons of same looking games were released mast year and it's no more working well.
    So we are searching for deeper gameplay and graphics.

Best regards,

Vincent Dondaine
    COO Co-Founder
    +33 6 76 78 52 49

[​IMG]
    APP STORE BULKYPIX

[​IMG] @2DVince

[​IMG]

2016-04-17 0:29 GMT+02:00 David Ballew <justjumpin2@gmail.com>:
    New Contact
    A new contact request has been submitted on your website located at
    https://bulkypix.com.

Request page: Publishing
    Fullname: David Ballew
    Email: justjumpin2@gmail.com
    Company: No company...just indie
    Message: I\'m making a few new games using Buildbox...one I recently already submitted and was released on the App Store. What requirements do you have towards publishing...or even my case a recently published app ? Like I say also I am working on several games...maybe to even release as a bundle. I guess I am new enough at this I\'m asking 2 real questions...lol. What\'s in it for you ? What\'s in it for me ? I think those are fair questions. Thank you.. David Ballew
    View Now

Christoph and AppNasty like this.
  17. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

It seems more they are concerned with the graphics than the engine itself, I know Bulkypix has worked with many members in the community before.

18. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

That's why I'm not releasing anything until I get all my artwork into the games first. Make a fun game, then get to drawing and create beautiful graphics. Well, my plan anyways. As for those who don't have art abilities, either reach out to guys like me, or find some unique gfx that's not been used 1000 times in games already.

19. blufology

blufology Boxer

Hmmm. My take was half of what you said here.

Deeper gameplay and graphics...just usual Buildbox games...tons of games. Again I feel this wording all follows the first phrase of the response...."Regarding Buildbox games"....this would end up including all of what follows in sentences and paragraphs to be inclusive of this phrase. Not arguing so much a point as I am also trying to make sure I didn't put a publisher at risk of future endeavors based on my interpretation.

:)

20. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Oh I just noticed the mentioning of more profound gameplay in their response.