Light effect movement when casting shadow

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by convitza, Apr 4, 2016.

1. convitza

convitza Boxer

Hi guys,
    There's a beautiful light effect that BuildBox gives us.
    Today I want the light effect accordingly moves and follow the character, or a physic object.
    My experience is that,
    - If we select Cast shadow for light effect, and link the character and the light effect together, the light effect disappears from the game.
    - If we unselect cast shadow option (of light effect), and the light effect is moving correctly. But there's no shadow then, this is not what I expect.
    So, Is it possibility of both casting shadow and moving light effect?
    Any answer would be appreciated :)

Thank you,
    Hiep

Attached Files:

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

the reason the light disappears from the game is because there was a bug introduced in 1.3.6 and bb2 beta 4 that makes lights center on the objects they are attached to... so when the light is centered on your object, it is casting a 100% shadow, and therefore, cannot be "seen". Maybe it will be fixed in beta 5 due out wednesday, but i don't know.

trudnai likes this.
  3. Kadri246

Kadri246 Avid Boxer

You can add light with shadow, but you'll have to open the desired animation of the character, in your case move animation, then add light.

4. convitza

convitza Boxer

Hi heathclose, yes you are right. I'm using BB 1.3.6 and the light was attached in the center of the character (even though I put it far away), and it doesn't cast any shadow to other objects of the world.
    I've realized that, when the character is defeated, the light comes out. this is weird.
    Hi Kadri246, does your solution work for BB 1.3.6? Can you explain more about it? I don't think we can add the light into character animations. :(

5. Kadri246

Kadri246 Avid Boxer

Oh, I didn't know you were using 1.3.6. What I meant was for BB2

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

It seems to me that lights are "sucked in" to the pivot point so what is happening is that your character is shadowing the lights off completely as it covers it. When you turn off the cast shadow option you can see that even if you place the light effect away from your character the light will still happening from the center of your character.

What you can try to do is to place a one pixel decoration object as a pivot point and attach the light to that. Make sure the pivot point is a no collide object.

convitza likes this.
  7. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

@Andy is this fixed in beta5?

convitza likes this.
  8. convitza

convitza Boxer

Wow, awesome trick Trudnai!!
    This works perfectly, and is that the light won't cast shadow for the decoration?
    Now I can make my Firefly.
    Thank you in advance :)

9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Sorry buddy, did not see that you already explained this :) But I did not know it was working in 1.3.5 ^^

10. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

I can confirm this is still not fixed. Been trying the pixel trick but I'm not seeing an improvement. It looks fine in the simulator and in the Xcode simulator, but as soon as I do a build on a phone or tablet, the shadows are gone. @Andy is this something that is being worked on?

Thanks

convitza likes this.
  11. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

According to the notes I found when we got around to fixing it for 2.x it was no longer happening. If your still seeing it in the version of Buildbox you are using then please open a new ticket by sending an email to support@buildbox.com with an example BBDOC. If you've already done that or have a previous ticket number with example please let me know.

12. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

Thanks @Andy, I'll put one together tonight and open ticket. I'll have to include screenshots from the device as thats where the problem lies. It all looks fine in the preview and even in the Xcode simulator. But not on the device. Very strange. I hope its just something dumb that I'm doing.

13. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

It's been an interesting couple of weeks. I rebuilt my BB1 game in BB2 and the shadow issue went away, or so I thought. I hand built about 10 levels in BB 2 that used to be in BB1. Created the UI along with several characters, sounds, etc. I exported and the shadows were there!

Today, I was up to about 36 levels, and added another 6 characters. I exported to my phone and poof no more shadows. I haven't changed the layering, nothing. Strange.

I will open a ticket with support. thanks @Andy

14. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

I just wanted to follow up on this.

I've narrowed this issue down to the culprit. I submitted two bbdoc files to support, one with the issue and one without.

Essentially what I've seen is that on the loading screen if I have a label, usually something like "Loading Objects..." that goes with the loading bar, this will greatly affect how shadows render on the actual physical device.

Shadows render fine in the BB simulator and win the Xcode simulator, however when building and running on the device the shadows are gone.

Thanks!