just updated Xcode and buildbox fails to run on iOS test devices

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by piqynwsvs, Mar 24, 2016.

1. piqynwsvs

piqynwsvs Boxer

Hey Guys,

We just updated Xcode and now every time we try and run a build box project on an iOS device we just get a blank black screen after the made with buildbox launch screen loads. This happens on multiple machines and devices.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

JustWatchApps likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Actually that looks like you are using the trial version and trying to swap out the launch image (which will produce the blank screen). If reverting back does not help (and you are really not trying to swap images) please send a sample BBDOC to support@buildbox.com and we can help sort of the issue. I am having no trouble with Xcode 7.3 but I also have not updated my device to iOS 9.3 yet. I do know that if you update your device to iOS 9.3 you will not be able to test with Xcode until you install 7.3.

4. piqynwsvs

piqynwsvs Boxer

Andy, we're not trying to swap out the launch image.

5. piqynwsvs

piqynwsvs Boxer

Unfortunately we updated our devices. Something I alway hold off on but for some reason the apple nag screen compelled me to do so. And had to update Xcode to the latest version to support the new iOS.

6. piqynwsvs

piqynwsvs Boxer

It does run in the iOS simulator

7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Best bet is to email support@buildbox.com, include a BBDOC that is exhibiting this issue and any other important info.

8. piqynwsvs

piqynwsvs Boxer

Its also not isolated to a single project, it happens with every project (even buildbox's demo projects) exported out of buildbox.

9. todro

todro Avid Boxer

You might have a memory problem, according to the logging it stops where normally the loadInventoryMapLayout takes place.

For me it runs on a iphone 6S IOS9.3 with Xcode 7.3. As a comparison, I have the following memory values: mem used 1751.335 with 142.197 free, you have only around 33.xx free.

Which BB version ? How many atlasses ? No apps running in the background ? What device ? It seems you are using an iphone 6 too. Did you try to export and run an other BB game to verify IOS9.3/Xcode7.3 is working in general ?

10. Digaodopg

Digaodopg Boxer

i send my first app for a review in the app store and it get rejected in the same day that iOS 9.3 was released, they say my app has some bugs on iOS 9.3, so when i got home i update my xcode to 7.3 and try to test the app to see what was wrong and everything was freezing, when i press to start the game it freezes, i try on my device and did not even open the app

11. piqynwsvs

piqynwsvs Boxer

So it seems to be an issue with the trial version. We purchased the licence and it builds and works fine on the device. Annoying this happened over the easter weekend when I was planning to work on some buildbox stuff and lost momentum. So it does seem to happen when the buildbox "blackbox" for iPhone checks the hash of the load screen against known hashes (or something to that effect) but encounters an error and doesn't run.

12. Digaodopg

Digaodopg Boxer

I dont know because before was working just fine, i check on all my devices, no legs at all, but after update xcode i cant even test my app on emulator :/

13. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Hey guys, we are working at this trial version issue, will post more news here when it is sorted.

14. Digaodopg

Digaodopg Boxer

Ok, thank u

15. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@piqynwsvs @Digaodopg

OK, we have a work around for the Trial version of BB. This is an error that occurs when you update to Xcode 7.3. All you need to do is to modify in Xcode the setting "Remove Text Metadata From PNG" to No. It is set to Yes by default. We will fix this in the next release so the workaround is not necessary.

Digaodopg likes this.
  16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

17. Digaodopg

Digaodopg Boxer

thanks for the quick answer Andy, i just did what you told me to do, on the simulator still the same but on my iPhone worked :), before wasn't work anywhere, now at list i can test the app on my iPhone, thank you very much, everything its working just fine now on iOS 9.3 :)

18. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

1) You will need to export again from the BBDOC if you haven't already.

2) You MIGHT need to reset the simulator.

Screenshot 2016-03-29 19.17.49.png

19. Digaodopg

Digaodopg Boxer

I export again, but did not try to reset the simulator, i will try that today and let you know.