Getting stuck behind game frame...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by heathclose, Feb 2, 2016.

1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

I'm getting a weird thing in bb1 that was refered to in bb2 at https://www.buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/dogfight-game-frame-issue.1675/#post-11635 where my character is getting stuck behind or in the frame. this time in a side scroller... i tried increasing the size of my hitbox and/or decreasing the size of the game frame... but I'm continually getting trapped "in" the game frame where my character goes really slow, and cannot escape the imaginary line of the frame... v1.3.5 b#683

2. heathclose

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon? Is this a known bug in bb1?

3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

What do you mean by trapped? You cannot see the character or the physics engine tricks you?
    For not seeing you can click on the "ghost" character on the scene and choose Bring it Front.

For the physics problem you may have a situation where two or more big platforms go all around your character and then the physics engine does not know where to escape. For that you need to arrange things that this trapping will never happen, which might means you have to place an invisible collision object that is large enough and which prevents your character to go to certain places on your scene.

4. heathclose

what i mean is that during gameplay in preview, i move my character around the screen and can actually pass through the game frame to either on the other side of it, or in it... and I cant get out (until i die of course)... let me see if I can fraps an example... ill get back to you

5. heathclose

Star Trek inspires me, so i create with that and I'll re-skin later...

here is a screen shot of my hit box and game frame settings...
    [​IMG]

and a short vid showing the bug (at least i think its a bug, unless im doing something wrong)

6. heathclose

i just realized that was bb2 port, but the same thing was happening in bb1

and as mention before this also is happening in dogfight

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. heathclose

@Andy am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Best to send sample BBDOC to support@buildbox.com to get the best resolution. Hard for me to say exactly what is going on.

9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hi @heathclose,
    Hehe, I like the StarTrek theme :)

So I could do something similar behavior if I have a Relative joystick on the gamefield as a direct move controller on the character while the game is constantly moving. While the character is on the middle, I can move around freely, however, as soon as it gets to the edge with the "block / orange" edges, it is kinda stuck. If the game scrolls slow enough I can still drag that out.

My solution was: Set the joystick to Absolute mode and everything seems to be ok.
    Alternatively you can set the edges to Gray / Pass Through but that changes the game type significantly.

Let me know if that helps!

10. creativesoffice

creativesoffice Boxer

I have the same issue if my character hits an object, gets stuck behind and cannot move from there, and moves only left/right in my case and 10 times slower. I posted this on forum but nobody replied, not even BB team. Software gets more bugs with every build, support zero, wasted investment.