How to set checkpoints to reward points

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Jsaetern1297, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Jsaetern1297

Jsaetern1297 Boxer

As title indicates I want to make passing a certain point 'checkpoint' reward a point.
    For example, Flappy bird, whenever you pass through a pipe you got a 'Point'.
    But for my game I want to make it so when you land on a certain object, you receive a point.

2. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

You can create a transparent image and make it an action coin. Place it on the object that you want the character to receive a point for.

3. Jsaetern1297

Jsaetern1297 Boxer

But If I do that how do I make it so I can collect coins along the way as well.

4. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

I dont believe you can. It's either you want the user to receive a coin/point for landing on the object or by collecting coins randomly.
    @Andy Please correct me if i'm wrong

5. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Why can't you do both? You just create 2 different "coins" one invisible set to reward points, and one that's visible set to reward coins... You could make 347 different "coins" if you wanted to...

6. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Correct, my apologies.

7. Jsaetern1297

Jsaetern1297 Boxer

I'm not sure how I would be able to separate the two in the score counter then.
    The only options that track score are distance and coins, you can't set one to 'Point' and one to 'Coin', otherwise I would've already done so.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  8. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

@Jsaetern1297 , it's possible I'm misunderstanding you... here's a vid doing exactly what I think you are saying you can't do. I just woke up when I shot this so please excuse my throat clearing... also I hope you can hear me ok because I'm pretty sure that headset I put on was simply decoration since it sounds like it captured sound on the mic by my mouse :rolleyes:

BossGames likes this.
  9. Jsaetern1297

Jsaetern1297 Boxer

@heathclose
    Wow, thank you. I did that the first time around actually lol but the Score kept going up alot more than I had wanted it to thats why I thought you cant separate the two, checkpoint Score and distance Score versus coins and coins collected (For the case of using a coin as a checkpoint). I just didn't know what to ask damn I feel so dumb now haha. Thank you for coming back to me the past few days though I really appreciate it, if you didn't do a video with your Score AND Coins counter at top of gameplay UI i would've never figured it out. I always only have one or the other showing lol so I based it on the "Game Over" screen to determine if my checkpoints were working or not.

But the answer to my question was actually a fix to the 'Score Multiplier', if I set it to '0' THEN my score will only increase if I hit a checkpoint.

Thank you again, I was pullin hair at one point haha.

PS. That mic is Incredibly sensitive to be able to get your mouse clicks geez lol.

heathclose likes this.