Getting rejected by Apple for a strange reason...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by patrick_meyer, Mar 3, 2016.

1. appnoxious

appnoxious Boxer

I had two of my Buildbox app submissions get rejected today. They say the apps are backing up to iCloud when it isn't even enabled in the project. I have tried to appeal it but no luck after two expedited appeals. No changes have been made to the Xcode project after exporting from buildbox just submitted. I am new to buildbox but I am not new to development and have never been so confused by a rejection. The app shows it is not storing any data to iCloud and I have even shown the reviewer these screenshots from multiple devices. Anyone here have any advice?

Here is what Apple said:

From Apple
    • 2.23-Apps must follow the iOS Data Storage Guidelines or they will be rejected
    2.23 Details

On launch and content download, your app stores 6.35 MB on the user's iCloud, which does not comply with the iOS Data Storage Guidelines.

Next Steps

Please verify that only the content that the user creates using your app, e.g., documents, new files, edits, etc. is backed up by iCloud as required by the iOS Data Storage Guidelines. Also, check that any temporary files used by your app are only stored in the/tmp directory; please remember to remove or delete the files stored in this location when it is determined they are no longer needed.

Data that can be recreated but must persist for proper functioning of your app - or because users expect it to be available for offline use - should be marked with the "do not back up" attribute. For NSURL objects, add the NSURLIsExcludedFromBackupKey attribute to prevent the corresponding file from being backed up. For CFURLRef objects, use the corresponding kCRUFLIsExcludedFromBackupKey attribute.

Resources

To check how much data your app is storing:

- Install and launch your app
    - Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage
    - Select your device
    - If necessary, tap "Show all apps"
    - Check your app's storage

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  2. todro

todro Avid Boxer

You might have setup In-App-Purchases for your app with the option to store the content on apple's servers.

3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I haven't see any data from Buildbox games on my iCloud that I recall (just re-checked). I've also never heard of anyone who had this rejection from Apple before. Anyone else see data from Buildbox games stored in iCloud?

What ad networks are you using, if any?

@patrick_meyer
    NOTE: I saw your support ticket, earlier but thought I would reply here to get input from others.

4. appnoxious

appnoxious Boxer

@Andy thanks for getting back to me! For ad networks: Admob Banner/Interstitial, HeyZap, Applovin, MoPub

Started over from scratch again yesterday with a clean buildbox/xcode project and no luck with getting it through (expedited review).

I usually never have any trouble getting apps through so this is just really strange that I'm not having any luck with my first buildbox submission.

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Does iCloud Storage Manager give you any indication on what the files are?

Going WAAAY out on a limb, you might try removing MoPub. I'm not even sure if any Buildbox customers are actually using that. I know the others get heavily used and should not cause an issue.

Actually, you could just remove all ad networks and test on your phone to see if you still get iCloud data being stored.

6. appnoxious

appnoxious Boxer

iCloud Storage Manager doesn't actually show any storage on any of my devices so it has made it pretty impossible to try to troubleshoot and track down where they are getting that from. I have sent them screenshots of my devices that show 'no data' but they insist that after a while it somehow stores 6.5 MB of data.

We get a really good eCPM with Mopub so that is why we have that in there but I just tried removing it and submitted again. I'll keep you posted!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  7. appnoxious

appnoxious Boxer

Update: After the 5th review I was able to get them to approve my first buildbox submission! Not exactly sure what finally solved it but I removed all of the ad network IDs from Buildbox except Admob and then integrated Mopub as a custom ad network. I also had added some code in to go through each directory of the app on launch and set the NSURLIsExcludedFromBackupKey attribute on all of the files to prevent them from being backed up.

I have a feeling though that it was something with the Mopub library that's included with the Buildbox project.

@Andy Thanks for the all of the advice!

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Wow, OK that is a bit crazy. Really, really interested if anyone else faces similar issue. We'll take a look at our integration based on the info you have provided. Thanks man and sorry for the hassle!