Really Tired of Constant BB2 Crashes - Where's The Stable Version?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Phill Mason, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Come on BB Team, it's been almost 2 months since I paid for BB2 and I'm sick and tired of the constant crashes. I'm saving, backing up, starting clean versions of my crashed versions and still BB2 just bombs in a completely different place each and every time.

It's practically unusable in it's current state and I'd like to know when we can expect a decent stable version we can actually rely on to get through and release a stable app? Starting to lose faith at this point - HELP! :(

bmsingha, Mozartic, wcgames and 8 others like this.
  2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

+1 I feel your pain Phill. I have the t-shirt too. Losing the will to be positive as each week rolls by!

Am hoping beta 4 will be a quantum leap forward in stability and usability. Considering where the quality of BB2 is currently at, whilst in beta, this should have been FREE for BB1 owners and only paid for once the final version was released.

I've now paid for 3 months usage of a product that is completely unusable in a production environment. Whilst we knew we were getting pre-release software (with a beta by end of Dec at latest which was subsequently delivered on Jan 12) we were also promised a final release by the end of February which by definition means the beta software of BB2 would have been far more stable before then. It wouldn't have been unfair to expect a quality working product by end of January or beginning of Feb at the very least to hit that target.

Unless there's a remarkable rabbit pulled out of a hat I'm assuming that it will now be the end of March at the earliest before BB2 GM will go live which means that I and probably yourself and a lot of others would only get 8 months (or even less) of a BB2 v1.0 release before being bumped up to the full $99/month subscription (unless of course you paid full up front)!

At that point I would hope that everyone who is on this journey would perhaps get their subscriptions extended as compensation.

I've also mentioned to support that it would at least help us if beta's were every week. Every Tuesday or Friday or whatever. Tell us what's fixed. Tell us what major bugs are still being worked on and at least we know where we're at and can build and test accordingly. At the moment we're completely in limbo with no clue as to the release of the next beta which as of tomorrow (Friday) will have been 2 weeks since the last (and previous to that beta 3 arrived 17 days after beta 2).

Having a schedule to work with when beta's are delivered would assist greatly.

3. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Hey guys. We can certainly sympathize with your frustrations. I did some bug clean up testing today and have a new beta coming next week that solves multiple crashes along with a host of other things.

Always if you can pinpoint specific causes it will help us iron out your exact issues. Sometimes crashes can be largely dependent on the game type being created. What is causing the crashes so we can put our focus towards that.

With 1.3.6 being released we will have more firepower to narrow any outstanding crash scenarios and the team is hard at work to make this software the very best it can be. Your voices aren't falling on deaf ears in the least.

4. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hey @seanjonathanconnor, as ever we appreciate your enthusiasm, but at present, it's so difficult to pin-point a certain user-action to any particular crash. They are so often and so random, I'm left wondering what I did wrong each time. As @AndyG mentioned above, without and game-building guidelines to follow or avoid, we're left fumbling around in the dark trying to build games, but without knowing what works properly and what doesn't, it's a helpless task.

I am happy to be learning the BB2 software of course, but also without a manual, there is so much I still don't understand and this is frustrating too. I know you guys are working hard on trying to get everything up-to-date behind the scenes (tutorials/manual etc) and we all appreciate that, I just hope that the next release of BB2 becomes what we're all expecting it to be.

guttaavestudios and tomwhite3d like this.
  5. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

name a day Sean :)

tomwhite3d likes this.
  6. Kamil Kucma

Kamil Kucma Boxer

Same here, I was forced to back to BB 1.3.5 (that is unstable too) but at least doesn't crash every 30 seconds...
    TBH - you are loosing a customer in me, I will look somewhere else if you won't deliver something solid soon :(

Nick H and tomwhite3d like this.
  7. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

Could you also post a changelog? That would be nice. Also, will some presets become available in the next beta?

tomwhite3d likes this.
  8. shesh

shesh Avid Boxer

feel you. I stopped using it, until there's a function version.

9. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

I've been experiencing fewer crashes since the last update, but there is one thing that causes an instant crash - using path on an asset.

There are more things causing it but I haven't pinpointed them like this one. Will let you know when I find them.

10. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

Thank you for your post @Phill Mason. I've been on the fence as when to upgrade to BB2, but considering v1.3.5 crashes all the time and that's been out for many months, I thought I'd hold off getting into a new world of BB2 headaches.

The idea of paying thousands of hard-earned dollars to essentially be a BB2 Alpha tester (not even Beta) seems outrageous!

If Buildbox had an Alpha or Beta tester group who got BB2 and all the test builds for free while they worked out the numerous problems and crashes, it would be different. It wouldn't help with loosing hours of work due to crashes, but that would be the trade-off for testing and getting BB2 for free, thus being at least somewhat palatable.

But to sell BB2 as functioning and fully stable software is completely unacceptable and it sounds like they should be issuing refunds for all buyers until BB2 is ready for prime time.

Thanks for helping me make my decision Phil.

11. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

@AndyG Your statement 'whilst in beta, this should have been FREE for BB1 owners and only paid for once the final version was released' is dead-on. ;)

Perry, Dan F, Nick H and 2 others like this.
  12. tomwhite3d

tomwhite3d Boxer

I don’t understand why you all are having problems with bb2! I found a simple workaround don’t use your key board or mouse best unplug them just in case you are tempted to do some work!!

Nick H likes this.
  13. Nick H

Nick H Boxer

Found this in another thread posted by Andy:
    "Hi Guys, it seems this thread has run it's course. If you want to continue this discussion please email support@buildbox.com and we are happy to assist.

Buildbox 2.0 would have been released by now if we did not add features and changes that customers have been requesting. This feedback is the whole goal of the Early Access program and we will have more robust software because of this extended wait time. Also, we will have a new version of the Buildbox 2.0 beta released this week with many fixes.

Finally, this software is not publicly available and when you purchased a Buildbox Subscription, you are purchasing Buildbox 1.3 that comes with Early Access to Buildbox 2.0. While I can not give specific dates on when Buildbox 2.0 will be completed, I can tell you we have stopped adding features and are focused solely on bug fixing at this point in time."

What I understand from this:
    - Its our fault (the customers) that BB2 is not finished, because we requested too many last minute features. -.-
    -And when we buy/upgrade to bb2 we are in fact buying bb1.3 with early access to a software which is not "publicly available". -.-

I own bb1since last May and upgraded to subscription for bb2 a few months ago. I am such a fool for thinking I was buying bb2, I hadn't realized that I was buying bb1 a second time.
    Until bb2.0 is "working" , I will pay every month just to own a 2nd copy of bb1.3 according to Andy's message ...

14. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

I've pinpointed a very serious issue with buildbox, which prevents my game making progress. Whenever I move a scene and put it above another scene, the rest of the worlds' scenes gets deleted. Please fix this issue, as it prevents game progress.

For example, if I have 3 scenes 1, 2, 3, and I duplicate scene number 2 which makes it 1, 2, 2.1, 3. And if I drag the duplicated scene 2.1 and move it above 3 like this 1, 2, 3, 2.1. All the scenes from other worlds get deleted.

brdchn25 likes this.
  15. brdchn25

brdchn25 Boxer

Holy shi*!!!! @Shawh is right. Good thing I didn't have the 4 other worlds really started yet. This is a serious issue that could cost someone 100's of hours of development time.

Shawh likes this.
  16. tomass_sarts

tomass_sarts Boxer

Crap I experienced that! I lost my 5 scenes after moving one... goodthing I have backup and I didn't saved it. I almost destroy 2 days of work

Shawh likes this.
  17. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

Beta 4 is arriving this week and the scene deleting issue I mentioned above has been fixed in Beta 4. I'll try to keep letting the BB team know all of the issues that I find, and hopefully the stable version will be released soon.

tweettopix likes this.
  18. mangesh

mangesh Boxer

any idea this week as in which date?

19. tomass_sarts

tomass_sarts Boxer

Let's just stop complaining for now and help them identify errors... so far I don't need other features yet. I just need the current features fixed. I'll report every bugs I will see...

Go Buildbox team! :)

20. nathaniel_harman

nathaniel_harman Boxer

is the new beta out?
    which version of BB 1 are people finding the most stable?