App income site

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by heathclose, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

is there a site you folks use to see what an app has made?

comicsmathias likes this.
  2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

the reason I ask is I'm seeing what HAS to be unreliable data on apptopia (it says trial version doesn't show everything)...

@TreySmith 's game The Pit is showing 915k downloads on google play, and 837k downloads on the app store, but is also showing no revenue on google play and only $192 on the app store...

Now... there are four scenarios with this...
    1. the revenue numbers are just plain wrong
    2. there's no way to track what ketchapp pays @TreySmith to show their imprints which is the substantial part of the apps income
    3. the 97 people out of the 1.75M that disabled the ads are from this board to show their support (approx .00005537 % disabled ads)
    4. disable ads is an awful business model with little upside
    ...or a little of each...

Any thoughts from those of you who know what your talking about, cuz I'm so new, I'm like a kid playing with matches... it "seems" like a good idea...

But.. I do know this.. if 1.75M downloads only gets me $192... I'm out...

3. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

I would have gone to do plumbing work. The ECPM from that is higher
    :D:eek::Do_O:D

Wings n Armor likes this.
  4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

It's possible that the $192 refer to the income of disabling ads, even though no idea how they could get that number. Anyway, most people do not disable ads. Free games are getting most income through the ads themselves and there is no way an App Income Site could know how much that is. The download stats are only one thing that is important. The other one is user retention. If the first day 1 million users play the game, after 7 days there is normally only a 30% left. After 30 days it is less than 5%. (And this are all optimistic numbers). Most games do worse, but a good example that for sure does better than that would be Color Switch.

With over 1 million downloads you can rest assure that the income is between $100,000 and $1,000,000 for the first month. But it all depends how big the ECPM is from the banner ads, the video reward ads and the interstitial ads.

Let's make a quick calculation and suppose the minimum average of all 3 is $1 per 1000 views. 2 million users played the game at least 10 times. 1 banner ad for playing and 1 for dying which makes a total of 20 views. The interstitials are set to show after each 5 deaths which makes another 4 views. 24 x 2 million = 48,000,000 / 1000 = $48,000. Double it for some video rewards and you have $100,000 for the first day. Not bad.

30% goes to Apple = $30,000
    $70,000 left from which you get 30% = $21,000 and Ketchapp gets $49,000.
    Again, this is for the first day only. (Not sure if Ketchapp still gives 30% or if they only give 20% now).

I'm sure a lot of forum users will now say that this is complete bullshit and they are right. But this is how I like to think about how everything is working. And I'm pretty sure that normally the income is even higher. But again, everything depends first that you get more than 1 million downloads. If you only get 1,000-10,000 then you mostly will not see a high income.

5. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

6. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I thought Apple only takes a cut of purchase-based revenue from in-app purchases. Does Apple also take a cut of ad-generated revenue?

Christoph likes this.
  7. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Just FYI guys none of those sites are remotely accurate.

Wings n Armor and Machine Rises like this.
  8. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

apple take 30% only for in app purchases the most used is remove ads by the way color switch does not have remove ads at all so apple didnt get a dime from it hhh...

@Christoph how to determine a game or publisher user base.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Wings n Armor and Christoph like this.
  9. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

This is highly interesting so that you could make a budget on a game based on nr of downloads and for how many minutes they play.

Wings n Armor likes this.
  10. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

I will have to agree that many sites do do not provide accurate numbers and like many businesses there are a lot of inaccuracies.

11. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

Everything seems to be an estimation tool.

12. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

I would love to start a club where we could share numbers privately to help each other succeed more and earn more money

13. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

How about a private facebook group to start?

colette_levesque likes this.
  14. jigglybean

jigglybean Avid Boxer

I use Appannie.com to track downloads and to check good key words to use. For my own personal downloads, its pretty accurate for personal stuff( not sure about other companies) but you have to pay to unlock the data of other companies.

15. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Yep those sites are working from corner numbers reported by X, Y and Z. Applied stats based on number of mentions on social, web links, game center players, reviews and ratings -- but all in all no one really knows -- except if stealing data from app analytics and itunes stolen credentials etc, but that no one would do that anyways, because if it turns out they did, that that would be their last day in business...

So yeah, take that as a rough number but do not take those too seriously...

16. swnam12

swnam12 Boxer

17. Hopper Games

Hopper Games Guest

@heathclose It's hard to get numbers for ad-based games. For IAP just look in the "top grossing" list for iOS games.

18. dineshpatil416

dineshpatil416 Boxer

Non Of This Sites Are Accurate. Its Only What Is Estimated Downloads An App May Be Receiving. Appanie Might Be Closer To The Stats. But No One Except Publisher And Owner Of The App Can Tell About Revenue Stream's From AppStore.

And @heathclose . The Numbers Are Might Be Different. But $192 For 1.75M Downloads. I Think If This was The Case Then Indies Where Never Survived . Its Actually Way More Than That. Do't Lose Hope Sir. AppStore Still Has The Hidden Gems That We Guys As A Developer Will Tackle.
    Guys Just Focus On AUDIENCE DELIGHTEMENT. Do The Stuff To Not Only Satisfy Them But Also Delight Them With Your Creativity. Money Will Always Come Into Play.

eyal likes this.
  19. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

My only experience is i made a Minecraft modding tutorial app and it got about 2000 to 4000 new downloads per day. free with admob. i made about $500 bucks within first 2 weeks. and it was rising. ended up getting yanked in the end for copyright infringement. i was new to making apps....dern those copyrighted images lol.

20. hunttrader

hunttrader Boxer

Sensor Tower show you the revenues!