Flame Thrower

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by pjpavlovich, Oct 4, 2015.

1. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

Hello - I wanted my character to be able to use a flame thrower, but I cannot seem to get the flame to work to destroy an enemy. I am thinking it could act like a melee attack where I can fire it and it can disappear, but I cannot seem to get the collision to work when I use an firing animation. Any suggestions?

2. tomwhite3d

tomwhite3d Boxer

Hi Could you use Character bullet and add use an invisible bullet?

GL Tom.

3. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

easy peasy @pjpavlovich ... create the flame animations first... then use the flames as bullets. You can opt to either put it into the bullet animation or even use it as a bullet itself. Hope this helps ;)

pjpavlovich and tomwhite3d like this.
  4. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

Great, I am going to try this. This may be an update I do with the game as a in-app purchase.

This is an easy question I am sure, I am just blanking on this. I have my enemy, and he is lobbing projectiles. I have the projectiles as enemy bullets, and I have them snapped to him so you can really see them spawn on top of him. Now, once I kill the enemy, the bullet is still there firing. What am I missing?

5. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

Ok, I tried the flame as well, I can get the flame to appear and fire, is there anyway I can have it be stationary and disappear?

6. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

You need to set the bullet (which is a spawner) to either permanent or shooting. If you set it to permanent the gun would be firing on a permanent basis. However if you would like it to be fired during shooting you can do so by setting it to shooting. You can also set it to single shooting (in the case of a flame thrower) so that it doesn't fire as frequently as a spawner should. As for the disappearance you would need to put in some transparent animation frames into the flame animation.

Hope this helps :)

7. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

Ok - the flame thrower I can do on my next release. I am more worried about the bullet. Right now, it's snapped to the object, which is labeled as an enemy. The bullet is behind the character. I have set to be shooting every 5 seconds. But, I once the enemy goes, I want the bullet to go too.

8. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

You set your bullet as permanent? Or as shooting?

9. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

Well, I had it as just the enemy bullet, with no spawning but it will shoot once. I then set it as permanent spawning every 5 seconds. But, it keeps spawning after the enemy dies. I tried attaching the enemy to the bullet but that doesn't have any effect. I only want it to shoot for the life of the enemy, is that possible?

10. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

Ok... This problem could stem from the connections. Make sure your enemy is the mother and the bullet is the child... so that whenever your character bullet hits the enemy (mother) once the enemy dies so will the enemy bullet (child) go away... For this to happen make sure you pull the connection from the enemy to the bullet rather than pulling the connection from the bullet to the enemy

pjpavlovich likes this.
  11. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

That did it! Thank you very much! I was dragging the connection from the bullet to the character. Thank you again!!

I am going to try the flame thrower soon, but on another release.

12. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

Hey... No probs :)

13. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

Maybe you can help me on the other end fast...I have my characters, both with different character bullets. How should I go about adding them to the character? Should I insert them as objects and then attach them as bullet animation? Or should I just copy the file over from my desktop directly onto the bullet animation? I ask because when I do it the first way, I get odd occurrances where it looks if I spawn the bullet too much, it duplicates itself in transit. If I do it the second way, it works fine, but I cannot modify the damage level of the bullet.

I think the first way is best, but how do I get this behavior to stop, because it looks really silly when bullets are spawning in mid air by themselves. When I do a debug, I see a box going faster than my actual object art.

14. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

1 question... is the shooting direction going to be single? or is the character going to be shooting left and right?

15. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

Left and right.

16. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

Well... if this is the case then I would advise you to put the bullet into the bullet animation if you would like different characteristics(ie... colors & shapes of the bullet) for the character's bullet. If the characteristics of the bullet is not an issue then linking the bullet outside of the character also could be an option. Dragging the bullet from objects in the animation box of the bullet animation will not work as it will not be able to shoot in 2 different directions.

Another point to take note is that when you put the bullet into the bullet animation box... The damage which it causes is only 1 damage per bullet. Hence you may need to lower the enemy's health so that it would not be too difficult for the player to kill the enemy.

pjpavlovich likes this.
  17. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

Ok, so if I wanted to change the way my character was shooting to therefore manage the damage of the bullet, how would I make my character only point to the right and shoot to the right? I assume maybe he could backup a little, but if not, that's ok too.

18. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

I modified the gameplay now where my character is only facing right. It's constantly scrolling so I think it's totally fine. That will solve my bullet intensity/damage issue. The only thing I see is that when I hit the fire button a lot, the bullet seems to spawn a little be down the screen, meaning the bullet will duplicate after fired. I will try and work on that.

My flame thrower will be the big test after my initial release!

Thanks again for your help!

19. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

If your character is moving backwards then it's not an issue. The issues that we faced for our shooting platformer game was that the character can face as well as move left and right... a game similar to Metal Slug... It's very much easier to setup your game... Just make sure that you untick the image direction in advanced gameplay settings then all should be good :)

Bullet intensity wont be an issue then and you can combine many bullets into your character :)

pjpavlovich likes this.