Fps Template

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by AppNasty, Aug 22, 2021.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I made an FPS template and not sure what i should do with it.
    Keep it for myself and make a full game out of it?
    Give it away free?
    Sell it exclusive to 1 person?
    Sell it cheap but for everyone?

Wrapping it all up. Have move wobble, gun motion, proper collision and recoil. Made it kind of DOOM style.
    EDIT: Ignore gun flash. it happens every time but frames are being skipped while recording so it looks like its sometimes not flashing each shot. It does.

Leighton, khaelou, wmfear and 2 others like this.
  2. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I was thinking of turning it into more of a Quake III Arena type of game. High flying action. Small arenas. Hit bounce pads and go through portals. Release it. Hypercasualify the whole thing. Simple gfx. Focus more on gameplay. Thoughts? At the same time i want to see you all make something amazing with it. So im stuck between giveing it away and keeping it.

3. khaelou

khaelou Boxer

You should most definitely release it for free! I'm working on an advanced 3rd person character controller right now and I've embedded so many custom nodes that it's only right to share the knowledge. Considering the nature of the engine, it's cool to see how far we're able to take our games.

This would be great for a offline multiplayer .io shooter or even an additional mechanic for a 3rd person controller.

AppNasty likes this.
  4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Yeah. Im still debating what to do. Ive been giving away FREE stuff for years here. Doesn't really benefit anything. Besides aiding others to find success and never myself. Ive been told by BB employees and higher ranking BB users to STOP giving away my work for free. So now im taking that serious and trying to decide.

khaelou likes this.
  5. khaelou

khaelou Boxer

In this case you shouldn't ask if you already know what you're goals are. Since you're wanting to get paid for your work like any creator would, you should start selling them as custom nodes via Itch.io or a similar marketplace.

It's important to also comment your code and tackle all bugs before posting the node for sale. If you're thing is someone taking the code and reselling it then simply give it a license too. I recently purchased an advanced node from another user in the community, it seems like a justifiable way to go as it helps those searching for it.

6. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Thats why i ask...to get feedback. As im torn between 2 paths. Appreciate ya.

khaelou likes this.
  7. DBL

DBL Boxer

If you go the "sell it cheap to everyone" route, I would buy this.

8. khaelou

khaelou Boxer

Understood mate, just get it into a decent state. I would happily purchase this off ya :cool:

9. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

10. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Get your thoughts together, make a list, complete it to get a perfect game, release it and have fun in the process. That's my 2 cents on your big question about releasing this template

AppNasty likes this.
  11. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Thanks. I tend to lose faith in what i make. At first its cool...then im like...this is stupid. Also im horrible at making things into a full game. Rewards system....making it FUN. Im good at functionality but not those things.

12. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

That's why I said to make a list, having a list and achiving it and not adding extras too much into the process will bring you to the end line but without a list.... I guess then you should do what you are good at and release it but as a paid thing. Nothing in this world is free, you are investing time and effort to create things that someone can use.

AppNasty likes this.
  13. khaelou

khaelou Boxer

14. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

Smart Penguins released a very similar fps shooter video tutorial. Search their YouTube channel and you will find it. Pretty much the same thing shooting exploding barrels.
    Also do a search for Nite Fighter 2 on YouTube, it might help give you some ideas on which direction you want to go.

khaelou likes this.
  15. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

LOL i mean, you would just put whatever gun you want and shape the world however you want.

khaelou likes this.
  16. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I seen the Night Fighter one. Visually looks great but he put player on a rail system which ruined it all. He should have made an actual FPS. Haven't seen Penguins tutorial. Ill scope it out. Seems the issue most people have when attempting this is the controls. Thats why we dont see FPS games in BB. Only one you can think of is that Night game. But an actual FPS....is the goal.

khaelou likes this.
  17. khaelou

khaelou Boxer

I have an advanced Third-Person controller which allows the player to pick-up and drop weapons that I'm working on with pretty decent controls.. not quite ready to share but there's potential for it in Buildbox for sure.

AppNasty and Jaro like this.
  18. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Nice. I do have some older setup i forget by who, but allows for weapon pickup and drops. Haven't used it in this FPS temp. My son actually made his own with no custom code and just using normal nodes to pickup weps and switch. Has it setup so that if you don't have specific gun, you wont pickup the ammo for that gun. You can only pickup ammo for the type of gun you have. Then if you pickup 2 guns, it reflects on the UI and you can click either or press keyboard button and switch between the two. Each having diff ammo types.

khaelou likes this.