Paid To Free Query

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Coldwilson, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Hi all,

having just released as a paid app I am considering the other monetisation options. For example:
    - free with Ads and IAP to remove Ads
    - or possibly free with option to purchase the other levels

Does anyone have experience on either of these routes?

I am also very keen to know whether changing the App in this way would still recognise existing purchasers have paid and they are automatically able to still use the game if they download the updated version?

Many thanks

2. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Someone must have done this surely?

3. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas Avid Boxer

your existing players will not be affected, but they might not like it if you add ads.

4. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Thanks Tars Tarkas, I'd assumed they wouldn't see the ads if they've paid for the original game though?

5. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

You would have to have two separate publications to monetize the game in two different ways. But it is hardly possible

6. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas Avid Boxer

If they update they will see ads.

Sean Buildbox and Jaro like this.
  7. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Hi Jaro, I didn't mean to monetise in two different ways. I was just wondering if, having tried a paid approach for a while then changing that to a free version with Ads. It seems, from what Tars Tarkas is saying, that players who have purchased the paid version would then see Ads if the paid version were changed to Ads with a pay to remove ads option.

So it sounds like a new version would need to be created and both kept up to date together. Not sure if Apple are happy to have two identical games. other than one being free and the other paid. There seems to be almost nothing to read about this scenario.

8. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

It is not possible to keep two the same publications. Anyway, he plays with ads and the added no ads option is actually two in one. Free game after paying no ads it becomes a paid game. So the user has some choice. I know a few BB games that were published as free, after some time withdrawn from the store and published as paid

Sean Buildbox likes this.