20 Feature Requests For Buildbox Updates

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by AppNasty, May 22, 2021.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

So much controversy right now. I am just going to stick with the idea everything will work out soon and just get back to work making games.

Anyways, havent posted a request post for a long time so figured now is better than later.
    Anyone wanting to comment about all the price change stuff...just don't. I don't really care anymore. Either it will work out or it won't.

1. Ability to add more text. As of now, when you insert text into BB you can only do it line by line. So if you had a paragraph copied, you have to break it down. Would love to be able to paste in a paragraph worth when adding text vs just 1 line.

2. Some way to make it better for internet teams to work together. Instead if sending the bbdoc to someone, then they send it back etc. Woild be cool if maybe we both do work, then if say, 3 team members send me their save file, I can import their work to the main bbdoc. For example, say I have a racing game. I send a copy to team member but I continue working on it. He then does his thing...say, builds tracks. When done he sends his file back to me and I already have mine open. I then choose to import his file which checks the difference between the 2 and only imports what hes added. Maybe even some way to connect 2 sessions if BB together online for team work transfers.

3. Multiple camera. Would be great for split screen on PC or split screen multiplayer on phone.

4. Official mirror effects like BB 2 has

5. God Rays.

6. Scrollable menus. This is great for app design or even story. We can use tricks to hide an invisible player that moves so it mimics scrolling down a menu of text but official scrollable menus would be great.

7. Sticky notes. When I gave feedback to that company you guys hired to redo the UI...they took my feedback on that. But it would be nice if in the mindmap area where nodes are we could have a sticky note feature. Currently I will insert a blank script and write things in there but its not efficient. I wanted to release tutorials and samplers again and have notes in there for users that explain how this or that works. It would just be overall beneficial for development all around.

8. More FX like smoke, fire, water etx. Liquid asset would be nice. Actual water. May not be able to use it for a whole ocean or whatever currently but small things like a splash effect or one of those pour the water games. Also sand. The ability to move your finger and it "digs" the sand and water flows. We can only do this now using tricks but it doesnt work well.bwould be great for art app or games.

9. This request I know wouldn't happen but I'll mention it anyways. Ability to export to Unity. Theres this game maker called Smile Game Maker on Steam. It has some export options but they made it so you can export your project into Unity so users can then use unity to export to consoles like Nintendo Switch etc. Instead of building it themselves they used that method. But also so users can add more advanced stuff. Also solved their compatibility issue as Unity works with everything. Imagine games built with BB...on Switch. Also exporting out from unity would solve any lag issue a game may have. Would allow users to add that screenshot feature they wanted etc. Until you guys eventually add those things in of course. But why invest the time and money on a lot of that when you can just make it so out projects load into unity. And hey, since JZ said BB isnt a game engine, then it isnt competition. (LOL) Tons of people would use BB this way. BB popularity would spread fast. Or even if they just wanted to prototype games. Or hey, if Voodoo is interested in your BB game but need you to port it to unity...done. export to a unity project and export from there. Biggest issue this solves is BB3 games working on android and speed issues some have.

10. A level up node. Something like...if x condition is met or if x coon is met, raise value of this that's connected to the node by 2 percent. So if I have a hit damage of 10 and meet that requirement, I level up. Now 10 goes up 2 percent or x many values I set it to.

11. More in general assets like several clouds. That have a fog effect. Grass. I hate making grass. House parts like a door, window, wall, roofs etc.

12. Ragdoll physics. That new asset editor looks great. Now imagine when that asset that you can now mold, gets hit, it collapses and ragdoll applies. Like a pencil turns to jelly.

13. Built in video capture. We already have a screenshot function but to record I'm BB and record in the preview window saves so much time. Then it exports to desktop.

14. Moveable animations. This time is hard for me to explain. Similar to ragdoll I guess. Think of Beat The Boss game series. Say I load in an GBX model of a man. I then touch screen and grab his arm to lift him up. But only his arm lifts until it gets higher than he does. If I made a game that's first person and all you see is two arms/hands and player has to touch and drag the hands to do stuff and the arm naturally moves along to. Whatever that is....would love to see it in BB.

15. Was it ever added to allow a player to disable or enable shadows and lighting effects? I dont remember. But that. Maybe toss in ability for player to choose a low, medium or high view distance setting.

16. As mentioned in the export to Unity thing, a built in game screenshot option. Players can of course screenshot using their phone but built in to a game would be nice. Would only capture in game scene and not clock and wifi and everything else if they use their phone. An art based app or game could use this the most.

17. Cheat codes. I seen a user configure a way but an official way would be nice. Player presses UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT JUMP JUMP SHOOT and it gives them max coins etc.

18. A fog asset of some sort. I am flying an airplane in the dark sky...a cloud comes at me and its transparent. The ability to make 3D models have transparency would do that I think. Slightly see through the model. So much can be done with that.

19. Better object connections. When we connect to objects together...all you have to do is move fast enough and they stretch apart. My worm game is an example. Each segment is connected to another and if he gets head stuck on something the body may fall a distance away. They are strong at all. This would also allow for us to make better ragdoll effects. If I make a rope...it should be able to lift a car if I want. So maybe in connections you can add a connection strength option. 100 meaning it ain't going nowhere. 50 it would kind if move a few inches from connected point.

20. Portals...like in portal. Lol. The Teleport option works close. Would be great if I send a ball through it that's traveling fast, when it exits to other portal it keeps its momentum. So I guess add a keep momentum option to teleport. Some already have this keep momentum option but we need one for teleport.

BONUS: Already sent this to JZ and said it on Discord. Give us Master Collection for free. If you want this much revenue, provide the tools to increase chance someone's game will take off and make you that revenue. PixelBox, VoxelBox, SoundBox and AnimationBox are sitting there collecting dust. Even other engine users can use it and it would promote the BB brand.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  2. Kbr954

Kbr954 Boxer

Lots of great ideas here, but #9 is especially brilliant. Would attract many, many new users to BB alone, plus be incredibly useful.

AppNasty likes this.
  3. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

YES and save the BB team a headache and money. No need to spend so much time on compatibility. But we would see BB games with advanced feats added in. Then they can just focus on game design features and not all that extra stuff. Let Unity do the work. Youd even have Unity devs using BB to make prototypes. Or at least build FAST the mass portion of their game in BB then do all the more technical stuff in unity. Smile Game Builder does it.

Jaro likes this.
  4. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

I don't want to be rude or anything but master collection is buggier than the current beta build, the last thing that you would like to do is to share an outdated software full of crashes with a hyped community for free.

As for the teleport and few other options from the list, I think I can help you with those jut need to read the post a few times more so I can get your general idea

5. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Oh they would def need an update for sure. But i still use them today. PixelBox and VoxelBox. I love them.

6. 5petersonzachary

5petersonzachary Serious Boxer

Also, some sort of post-processing would be amazing. That alone can bring a game from a 7/10 to a 10/10 in visuals.

AppNasty likes this.