We Are Betting On Our Creators — Big News From Buildbox Ceo Jonathan Zweig

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Sean Buildbox, May 18, 2021.

1. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

[​IMG]

Dear Buildbox Community,

From this day forward, we are rededicating Buildbox to our community.

You all, the Buildbox creators, deserve the best tools in the world to bring your video game ideas to life, and we hope you’ve noticed how hard we’ve been working on the tools you use every day. As of this letter, 1,034,386 of you have signed up for our platform. That’s a lot of creators and growing rapidly by the day! Our lean and dedicated team has released FBX support, offline mode, expanded the Asset and Template Library, and more.

You have followed suit, using Buildbox to create hits that have gone to the very top of the Apple App Store and Google Play, taking your place alongside the likes of Roblox and other hit games.
    [​IMG]

Simply put, we want everyone in the world to be able to express themselves through video games.

As part of our deep commitment to that vision, you can now use Buildbox for free to get your game on the App Store, Google Play, or Desktop!

Our new pricing tiers ensure that Buildbox can serve our creators decades from now.

We plan to take what we earn from these changes and reinvest it straight back into the Buildbox products and you, the community. Along with these changes, we’ll also be introducing a new Ad Monetization solution, which will include Ad revenue-sharing proportionate to the type of subscription you have. This new feature will allow any creator to generate Ad revenue solely through Buildbox!

If you’re a customer of our Plus plan, you will get easy Ad monetization integration, in-app purchase features, and keep 70% of all revenue share. If you’re on our Pro plan, you’ll get even more and 90% of all revenue! If you’re using Buildbox for free, you will now be able to export to mobile and earn revenue through our new Ad Monetization solution. You’ll also be able to add unlimited worlds and scenes to your games.

As part of these changes, we have a special gift for the community: Get Buildbox Classic for FREE!

DOWNLOAD BUILDBOX CLASSIC

Buildbox Classic is our updated version of our original drag and drop 2D game maker, Buildbox 2. It allows you to rapidly build and prototype 2D games, whether using pre-built templates or starting from scratch! No coding or design skills are needed.

You can take a sneak peek at some of the new features and plan changes here. We have also updated our EULA and Terms of Service to reflect these changes.

We will be sharing more around the Ad Monetization solution and corresponding Ad revenue share in the coming weeks as we get closer to launch. Stay tuned!

Talk soon,
    Jonathan Zweig
    CEO
    Buildbox

2. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

This will be the cause of a mass exodus of subscribers. You guys can’t even produce a bug free version. You continue to ignore bugs. You release a new version with nothing more then templates for sale. Who asked for this? You release new versions with menu cleanups, again nobody asked for it. New features are not being implemented at least not features that are being requested. we have heard all of these promises before, for years, all to be just sat aside.
    now we are hit with this ridiculous idea. the days of Trey and Nik are missed and those were not even ideal days.
    Very sad that you believe this a good decision!

3. mrqwuyx

mrqwuyx Avid Boxer

Buildbox is planning to introduce REVENUE share on Paid plans is UNACCEPTABLE, revenue share on free plans is fine like what unity does, but REVENUE share on paid plans!!!

I think its time to leave buildbox completely

Marclb, E Z, wmfear and 1 other person like this.
  4. kipasgajah

kipasgajah Boxer

If I subscribe only one month does revenue still share after subscribe end?

Green Fennec Studio likes this.
  5. batahf

batahf Boxer

I am happy I was waiting for this option with the free version ... I have previously dealt with a profit-sharing system similar to a platform making apps and it helped me get started and I was even able to make a profit to move to the paid plan instead of venturing from the start with the paid plans because I also did not have enough money for adventure Doing it and getting started

Thank you

6. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Monthly subs are with 1 year commitment so no, I don't think you can do that so your hit and run technique won't work

7. E Z

E Z Boxer

Pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered.
    If non-executives working for BB do not speak up on behalf of us customers, they could very well be looking for new jobs within a year.

8. Green Fennec Studio

Green Fennec Studio Boxer

1 year commitment !!! :(:(:(:(

9. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

That asset editor looks epic. So much more we could do with that. Can't wait.
    @Green Fennec Studio nearly all companies do that. Your internet, cable TV etc. 1 or 2 year commitment. Standard buisness.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Boxer

How does this impact creators who purchased the Master Collection? When I transferred my account to the new system, it shows me at the 'Pro' tier but things like IAP are 'not allowed'. Does that mean as an MC purchaser that I would be subject to paying royalties?

11. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Boxer

So I was interested in coming back to buildbox for an upcoming project but this has totally put me off.
    I’ve never seen anything like this. Please listen to your users and has some humility when it comes to what you are offering compared to everything else out there.

12. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

To be clear there is no more 1 year commitment for the Plus tier at this point. Pro is only available for the Annual rate going forward but there are no more year terms.

You should have In-App purchases, please contact support@buildbox.com or DM me and I can resolve that issue for you. Royalties are relevent after July 1st but only after the $2500 threshold has been met.

13. sebb121

sebb121 Boxer

Betting on? Or taking revenue from?

Jackazoid likes this.
  14. batahf

batahf Boxer

After gathering information about the new profit-sharing system and understanding it better ... I somewhat retreat from my words and understand people's anger ... I think that this decision is not successful at the present time because the product is far from being stable and free from annoying problems. ..And I think that it could have been applied better to be fair to the company and the user ... because in the current way it will cause you to lose many users and lovers of the product, which will cause the decision to work in the opposite way instead of increasing your income, it will decrease ... and I hope that it will be done. Delaying its application on the paid plans until the product becomes somewhat stable ... and I see that there is injustice in the percentage of profits that will be taken from the users of the free version, which is (70%) for you and (30%) only for the user ... I hope to rethink and increase The user's share reaches 40% - 50% ... Because we are used to all companies that provide a similar service to make an application or game without the need for programming that the user, with the free versions, gives the largest percentage of the quarter, and it is usually 60% or 70%, but I will not ask you for such a percentage Because you need funding to provide the resources to continue supporting and expanding the product .... It is better to also provide a paid plan It does not contain any profit sharing (100%) for the user, as this is known to all similar products and services, and this goal is originally from the user’s endeavor to buy the highest subscription plan to get rid of the trouble of profit sharing

15. kipasgajah

kipasgajah Boxer

Ok, after one year subscription end, does user still have to share revenue?

16. Charles Rozén

Charles Rozén Boxer

Just check out their competitors. Who in ther right mind wants to create a game and see that somebody else get 70% of the profits . Imagine if a person wants to put it on to steam and they want 30% of the profit also. Nothing left for the creator.

17. Green Fennec Studio

The worst policy is the profit sharing policy. Most of the Buildbox users are beginners. Their profits are very weak. Taking seventy percent of their profits is considered abuse.
    Please we love Buildbox. Review your policy . Ten percent was very acceptable

Taxus baccata likes this.
  18. Marclb

Marclb Boxer

The fact that you want to get a revenue share of 10% from pro users is a bad joke and could have only come up from incompetent business leaders who understand nothing about marketing but are only focusing on financial models/predictions. This is similar to basic economics of governments thinking they will get more revenue by increasing taxes, it never works, always leads to the opposite.

Your CEO should be fired for making such a stupid announcement... Unfortunately, it seems like he will be taking the whole ship down with him.

In the last year I have bought two pro accounts, one for myself and another for my brother. I do this for fun and don't make anywhere close to what you guys have as a threshold. Following this announcement I am strongly considering not renewing either accounts. Its not a matter of revenue share but a matter of principle. I am paying a premium to get full access and not to have any restrictions or revenue share. Add whatever rev-share you want on the freeloaders, but don't penalize pro paying customers.

19. Marclb

Marclb Boxer

Investing in us?
    Guys we're in 2021. This type of BS communication tactics does not work. We are paying you a subscription to get access to the tool. Trying to say that you are implementing a rev-share to reinvest it is pure BS. Just be honest and tell people you need to increase your revenue or profits. I would have respected you more if you had just increased the pro subscription rate.

Sounds like you guys are having a liquidity issue...

20. Green Fennec Studio

All your words are correct. I love Buildbox, but I am always disappointed with the decisions of the Buildbox team :(:(:(:( A greedy way to market buildbox engine:mad::mad::mad: